SIGNAL PROCESSOR

7 years 1 month ago #1 by steveo
Hi all,
just wondering im thinking of changing my head unit from the DEH-4450BT to the PIONEER AVH 6350BT with the navigation add on
The reason for this is because of the stupid new mobile phone laws. As i use navigation software for work purposes and ipod for loud music lol.
I was told that most single din head units have crap pre-out voltages.
It got me thinking as i have a background in normal PA systems about signal amplifiers/ signal processor's.
I was looking at :

www.audiocontrol.com...
and
www.audiocontrol.com...

All I can say is over the last year of taking a little hobby a little more seriously I've learnt that P.A systems are nothing alike so my question is
Are they a waist of time ina car audio application? i must say i do like i idea of the 1st product.

Andy, heads up...... if i go through with the above mentioned youll have ur hands full with the other additions i have planned for ya :beer:
might have to bribe ya with another bottle of American Honey lol. :thumbs:
7 years 1 month ago #2 by Andy
Single DIN units and Double DIN units of the same product level have the same audio processors, same pre-out voltages etc...... Upgrading head-units wont give you a better SPL score, im sorry to say.
If you're looking for something with Nav, look at the same unit i have......AVH-P8450BT, a RRP of about $1000 and you can buy Pioneer's Nav app for your iPhone and use that instead, or just keep your current unit and buy a $199 Navman? lol.

I cant comment on bass processors or those audiocontrol units, never used them and dont see why :lol:
7 years 1 month ago #3 by steveo
so does the nav go on your phone or the unit. i am unable to use any function of my phone whilst car is in motion untill my blacks are aquired. if its through the unit sold i had a look at urs whilst u were playing with it it does look nice.
7 years 1 month ago #4 by amcinstaller
im going to stick with my post in your build thread, the epicenter is more for show off than spl (but i could be wrong) but the 6 band could help your sound quality score, and depending on the preout voltages on those units, maybe youll get a boost of like .1 db? but the meter in the dash does look damn cool, even if its not a termpro meter ;)
7 years 1 month ago #5 by steveo
yeah, ill be buying a term pro at a later stage but ive found a epicenter for $200 so y not lol.
I think ill be buying the same unit as Andy ( AVH-P8450BT ) which are 4v pre-outs x3

(review on the unit.)
I like what see, I just may have to have a close look at Andy's but i like the graphic setup its just a pity it doesn't have a clipping indicator lol.
but if its how im thinking ill be getting this unit and forgetting about the epicenter. All tho the spl indicator looks cool. So we just might to wait and see.
id love to put the meter up against a term pro to see how accurate it is.
7 years 1 month ago #6 by amcinstaller
its about as accurate as the old audiocontrol mics were. ask tezza how much he likes audiocontrol mics. :lol:
7 years 1 month ago #7 by Tezzating
Yes well, I never liked AudioControl mic's.
The Epicenter is cool as a show/bragging piece for sure, but you cant really use it for any meaningful testing as there's no decimal places ! If you're going for a fully EQ'd system using programmable parametric then the Epicenter makes sense as it covers the bass frequency range, freeing up a parametric range for programming at higher frequencies and finer tuning.
Its usefulness with those EQS 6 bands really depends on the frequency ranges they cover.. if they cover the same range then the Epic is rendered pretty much useless for its EQ functions, so then its purely for showing off.

I always favoured 4V preouts for SPL use ;) but thats a personal thing, you'll get just as much power from the amps running a 1V or 2V signal as you do a 4V, gain controls take care of that.
The Pioneer indash screens are pretty, but everything seems to be an optional and expensive addon module.. which is why mine does pretty much nothing except running a reverse camera haha. I think they have a nice parametric EQ in them, so unless you're after a lot of fine control for SQ purposes you might find the Signal Processors dont add a lot to an already acceptable system.

But if you can get a smoking deal on the lot of them dont let me deter you, lots of control knobs and an SPL meter in the dash looks awesome for showing off.

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
7 years 1 month ago #8 by steveo
lol fair enough. heard enough for me not to bother with the epicentre, however the unit issue isnt because ive got an inadequate head unit. my current (DEH-4450BT ) unit is 4V preouts x3. but new laws that came in last week prohibits me from using the navigation on my phone. which is the most common use of my phone. hence why i thought a Screened unit.
Tho i have been thinking about Andys sudgestion and i do like his unit so i think ill be getting that.
as for the deal, $200 each for the 2 of them. but if they serve no purpose bugger it. as the lollas setup is about to.... um expand with another 5 cub box.... bye bye back seat. (Pending Andys Approval.)
7 years 1 month ago #9 by Tezzating
The only drama with Pioneers indash screens is that everything seems to be an addon module that costs a fair bit of money. I havent looked at the newer units, so things may have changed.

Do these fantastic laws also stop you from using a dedicated GPS unit from TomTom or Garmin?

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
7 years 1 month ago #10 by steveo
Well according to andy I can get the pioneer nav app for iphone and it works on the screen of the unit.
My other option is to get OA's sunvisors with the screens built into them.
I'd rather the unit.
But yes the main pioneer range needs the addons which is gay.
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #11 by Andy
Yeah the new AVH-P8450BT is Pioneer's "flagship" model under the AVIC series of units. It has something called advanced app mode, which allows you to use and control *certain* apps on your iPhone through the 7" touchscreen of the unit. Apps like DashCommand (OBDII vehicle link / display) and Navfree (Free GPS nav) and about 10-15 others, mostly Pioneer-produced apps with better GUI for movies and music control.
The unit itself has bluetooth for calls and audio, 3 x 4v preouts and 8 band graphic EQ.

It dosent support Android unfortunately Tezzating :P

It retails for over a grand ($1099).....but if you look at Pioneer's AVIC-F220 "navigation add-on" and its RRP of $999 :whistle:
7 years 1 month ago #12 by steveo
Yes I'm now loving the idea of your head unit . Wanted to have a look the other day,
but u seemed ......... Agitated so I left it. I dare say it will be a
mid December - January upgrade.
7 years 3 weeks ago #13 by Tezzating
Well you better have it before Summernats :O

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
7 years 3 weeks ago #14 by steveo
Hahahahahahaha y is that
7 years 3 weeks ago #15 by Tezzating
You wouldnt want to put in all that work and not go to Nats ! Nats is awesome fun

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
7 years 2 weeks ago #16 by steveo
well...... after deciding not to go the epicentre i found one for 100 buck brand new so ill have a play n if it sucks for sale it is :) got the other for 50 but i dnt think ill use it as im buying Andys model hed unit which \im lead to beleive the eq ig grreat in it
7 years 2 weeks ago #17 by Tezzating
Well as they were cheap enough I'd probably use them just for the wow factor :P

I think those sorts of EQ's served more of a purpose back in the days when a headunits EQ was "Bass" & "Treble" lol. I'm more of a fan of electronic Xovers in headunits anyway, they seem more effective at trimming the curves to my ears.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
The following user(s) said Thank You: steveo
7 years 2 weeks ago #18 by amcinstaller
no shit, for that price just throw them in!
6 years 11 months ago #19 by steveo
ok guys.... 5-6 weeks later one of them finally arrived.. installed the epicenter. ur right on the wow factor but im keen to put it up against the term lab just for laughs. :thumbs:

unfortunatly i took a little to much off the pocket. but hey great to toy with over the hols

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Time to create page: 4.942 seconds