× A place for "newbies" to ask "newbie" questions. NO FLAMMING !

How to set Kenwood headunit to 2 12" kicker cvrs?

9 years 5 months ago #1 by Alappytit
So yesterday I got 2 12" kicker cvrs installed in a ported box with a 1500 watt crunch amp and a kenwood kdc-mp245 headunit. Now I'm assuming the guys at the audio place where I got it installed tuned the amp correctly, but lookin through the headunit options there are sub controls for bass level, bass boost, and sub level.

Now I turned these all up more than halfway and obviously the subs pounded alot harder. I didn't keep them up though because I'm still breaking in the subs at low levels. But is it bad to turn the bass settings just up as high as they can go on the headunit? I heard I can turn them up until I hear distortion, how do I tell distortion? Also I had all the bass settings turned down and i was bumpin and in about a 15 minute car ride with the volume at 15 I noticed when I got home that the amp was burning hot, is this normal?

HELP IM NEW!
9 years 5 months ago #2 by Dylan
If you don't know the difference between a clean output and a distorted output, DO NOT turn up any form of bass boost, loud, or MX settings in your HU. This goes for bass boost settings on your amplifier as well.

As for the amp running hot, some amps are designed to run hotter than others. I know my crown's can get fairly warm after a solid period of use. That said, the amp shouldn't get so hot that it would burn you if you touched it. If it get's that hot, then there is probably something wrong and you should take it back to where you got it installed and get them to take a look at it for you.
9 years 5 months ago #3 by Tezzating
And ask them what settings are safe while you're there.

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 5 months ago #4 by zion187reigneth
Alappytit wrote:

So yesterday I got 2 12" kicker cvrs installed in a ported box with a 1500 watt crunch amp and a kenwood kdc-mp245 headunit. Now I'm assuming the guys at the audio place where I got it installed tuned the amp correctly, but lookin through the headunit options there are sub controls for bass level, bass boost, and sub level.

Now I turned these all up more than halfway and obviously the subs pounded alot harder. I didn't keep them up though because I'm still breaking in the subs at low levels. But is it bad to turn the bass settings just up as high as they can go on the headunit? I heard I can turn them up until I hear distortion, how do I tell distortion? Also I had all the bass settings turned down and i was bumpin and in about a 15 minute car ride with the volume at 15 I noticed when I got home that the amp was burning hot, is this normal?

HELP IM NEW!

Another point of info for you is when you use the Head unit bass volume control.
When you turn up the bass control it gives more signal to the amp and therefore changes how the main headunit volume>Bass control volume>amplifier gain setting all work together.
Heres a good practice so your subwoofers remain consistent with the rest of your system on average with most of the music you play.

Set the bass control volume in the HU to 3 , then set the gains on the amp.This way you have close to linear volume matching with your HU main volume and the bass control volume.I like to use 3 because in most situations i have ever found i would reduce bass volume in the HU by -3 or +3 on almost every bit of music i played.
This would mean that my bass volume control would always be in the + volume rather than - , that is if your HU has a bass volume control of -15 to +15 or -6 to +6 . you get my meaning?

So keep your bass volume control in the + side but keep it as close to 0. +3 always worked.

There is an art to setting THe HU bass control and the amps gain for perfect volume matching with the rest of your speakers.
Typically setting all the speakers to the front speakers.

Volume matching means when you turn up the main volume all your speakers (fronts,backs+subs) will sound equal in every way, even at extreme volume.Perfect for SQ bass.
Time to create page: 2.062 seconds