× A place for "newbies" to ask "newbie" questions. NO FLAMMING !

car alarm etc

9 years 3 months ago #1 by zion187reigneth
Trying to study up on car alarms .They seem a bit more complicated since last i had one .

Im looking for keyless entry , Imobilizer , and one of those little hand held units that when the car alarm goes off so does the alarm in the hand held thingy.

if its possible for some one to give me some facts etc and point me in the right direction in terms of brands=price=features , that would be cool.
I will be taking this overseas with me.
cheers
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #2 by Tezzating
In cold climate a remote starter is pretty much essential in winter.. I wouldnt want to get into a vehicle that wasnt pre-heated in -40 !

I think most brands of remote starter are rebadged CompuStar. ArticStart & a few others most certainly are.. the beauty of a CompuStar system is that it is modular. You can buy the basic starter/immobilizer now, then upgrade to a 2-way system, alarm or remote door locking later.

A basic AM CompuStar remote starter/immobilser will be about $CAD120.
Installations pretty simply, splice into the starter wire, ignition switch wire, get some permanant voltage and earth. On fancy cars with clutch interlock you hook into the clutch signal, but its all very straight forward.

For the alarm you add a shock sensor, bonnet pin & siren.. which is about $CAD60.

For 2-way (car buzzes your fob when the alarm goes off) you upgrade to the SH-2W antenna & 2WSH**** fob. This is more expensive, about $CAD150. But you can check battery voltage, see if the engines on, the doors have been popped, etc right from the remote ! No need to go outside.
Get a thermister upgrade ($CAD25) and you can find the cabin temperature from the remote too.
Get the Pager which is a knock sensor.. you knock out a code on the windscreen and the car will buzz the pager to alert you. Good for if you loose the wife at the shopping center ! $CAD20

Remote central is a no brainer.. just get a universal central kit and wire its triggers into the loom. $CAD35 for this.

There's a 1 way SH system (SH is their name for FM). The beauty of this is your range increases from ~100m of the AM to ~900m. The wifes Pontiac has a SH 1-way, we can start the car from a half block away :D. Great for warming her up before the hockey game finishes ;)

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #3 by Tezzating
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationThis is very similar to the system I bought. Comes with 1x 2-way (for you), 1x 1-way (for wife/spare), knock sensor, siren, thermister, pager and SH-2way antenna system.. so its everything except the remote central unit.

This is the basic 1-way immobilizer/starter unit.

Universal central locking kit for 4 doors.. this should have 2 masters (manual unlock of it = all doors open) and 2 slaves.

Actually, Kit #1 + Central Kit = what I have
Kit #2 is what the wife has.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 3 months ago #4 by zion187reigneth
nice info, thanks man :)
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #5 by zion187reigneth
Kit 1 Ive looked further and i reakon thats a good price for what its offering .Did u think so yourself?
9 years 3 months ago #6 by Andy
I cant believe it took me 2 days to figure out that the "knock sensor" is actually a shock sensor. :eek:

Anyway, yeah IMO its seems good for the money....plenty of handy features too.
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #7 by Tezzating

zion187reigneth wrote: Kit 1 Ive looked further and i reakon thats a good price for what its offering .Did u think so yourself?

Thats the exact kit I bought. An older model (different remote shape), but the same features. They're about $550 installed here, so even with freight and duty its half the price to buy it and install :O.

C.C.S.S. wrote: I cant believe it took me 2 days to figure out that the "knock sensor" is actually a shock sensor. :eek:

Anyway, yeah IMO its seems good for the money....plenty of handy features too.

No, the shock sensor and knock sensor are different. The knock sensor sticks on the windshield and says "Knock Here". You tap on it (like morse code) and if the codes right, the car calls the pager to let you know someones at your car and wants your attention.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 3 months ago #8 by Andy
Oh, OK.....havent seen one of those yet :huh:

Wont be long :laugh:
9 years 3 months ago #9 by zion187reigneth
Thanks for the replies.
i looked into kit 1 and they didnt post to Russia.May have to post to Aus and bag it on my way home.

If you find any other info please let me know .I need one and i beleive that in russia they are same price in AUS.
Ive been working 14hrs a day 5 days and half day saturdays., which is great but the down side is i fall asleep everytime i sit down.
Sundays is the only time i get internet time.

I wonder if ebay china or the other ebays has a cheaper version.
I looked on ebay.au and i could not find anything related to car alarms??. not sure if i searched correctly.cheers
9 years 3 months ago #10 by Tezzating
Man if you want.. I can snag the kit and get it sent to me in Canada and then send it on to you ? It'll cost a bit more in freight and shit, but its a very viable option.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 3 months ago #11 by zion187reigneth
I looked at that option , its the same postage to canada and AUS. $34 International postage.
So its no different to get one sent to AUS. :)
9 years 2 months ago #12 by soccerx6
easycar is another brand which comes out of korea, they have some cool features like push-to-start/stop, oel animated transponders etc. for about the same as a compustar
Time to create page: 6.294 seconds