× A place for "newbies" to ask "newbie" questions. NO FLAMMING !

If u buy a stereo with subwoofer output?

6 years 9 months ago #1 by Goalleace
If u buy a stereo with subwoofer output, do i still need an amp?
Can I just run wires from any sub directly to the radio if it has output for a subwoofer?
6 years 9 months ago #2 by amcinstaller
you could but it wouldnt work very good. :) your new car stereo has a subwoofer PREout. meaning it is actually a sub out, but its really low power, most likely less than 4 volts. youll need to run that, as well as battery power (from the battery), remote line and an RCA cable that youll plug into that sub out, to an amp in the trunk or somewhere out of harms way. from there, youll then need to connect a ground to somewhere solid and paint free, and finally some speaker wire to the subwoofer.
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #3 by zion187reigneth

Goalleace wrote: If u buy a stereo with subwoofer output, do i still need an amp?
Can I just run wires from any sub directly to the radio if it has output for a subwoofer?

and to continue with the good advice,the sub preout on the back of the head unit does not carry sound like a set of speaker wires coming from the head unit. All RCA plug is another type of signal that needs to be amplified.
Maybe another member will post and show you some more info!

best regards
6 years 9 months ago #4 by zion187reigneth
You can actually wire a small subwoofer to the speaker wires coming from the head unit , but it will be low power(50 watt peak), and also for the purpose of making your stereo sound good you will need to still filter out the vocals and high level sounds from the subwoofer.Most head units dont offer Low pass filters on the speaker wire outputs.
So really an amp for the sub is an easy solution to make your car sound awesome :)
Time to create page: 0.726 seconds