× For posting reviews of equipment you have actually used. Please try and substantiate any claims with measured results.

Digital Designs M3a

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #1 by Tezzating
I'll update this with test results once its installed.

This is the newer model of the M3 series amps. The output side us similar to the M3 it replaced, rated for 2400WRMS @ 1ohm. The input side has pilfered the power supply from the Z2-LV model. What does this mean ? Around 400WRMS more power under 14V.. and protection above it :P

There's also a "Dynamic Power" rating of 3700W on this amp.. this is DD's way of suggesting the SPL junkie will achieve a lot more power if they're willing to dip below the 1ohm rating and attach a very large battery and cables.

This amp has a label proudly proclaiming "Made in Korea".. not something I'd brag about, but there certainly are a lot of very big, very powerful amps coming from Korea these days.

Probably the first thing people notice is, this amp's black. Since the first M1 came out, DD has always produced silver cases with rounded sides. This is square, contemporary and black. DD says "Black is the new Silver", however I believe its more to do with cost.. an OEM style heatsink will always be cheaper, and that delivers a cheaper amp, so thats always a good thing.
Personally I prefer it, I always thought the silver was tacky and design fussy :P

In the box are two allens keys.. one for the 0g power terminals, one for 8g speaker/rem terminals, which is a nice touch. Speaking of the box, its made of recycled, recyclable cardboard.

Other stuff:
- RCA's are bolted to the end plate for bracing.. they aint breaking off from rough treatment.
- Gain from 5V down to 0.15V, this will work with ANY headunit
- Subsonic 10-50hz, this is built for SPL. You can REALLY tighten up that bandwidth.
- Bass boost.. it has a 0dB setting ;)
- Strappable. Two together should give 7kw for burps with a sufficient 12V power supply
- Remote gain has a clipping indicator ! I'm a pretty big fan of this, every amp should have this feature.
- 0g power terminals

Here's some pix !

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

8 years 11 months ago #2 by Dylan
FYI the new heatsink design is better for thermal dissipation than the old rounded silver one. More fins=more better :P
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #3 by Tezzating
Whatever :P I MUCH prefer the black square case

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan
8 years 10 months ago #4 by soccerx6
thats a very clean interior
8 years 10 months ago #5 by Andy
Yep very nice amps....cant wait to see 3 more of them stacked up in the CRX once the bug really sinks its teeth in :P
8 years 10 months ago #6 by zion187reigneth
Gee sorry tezza , i seem to have edited your post and added my jaycar statement.Not sure how i did that but didnt mean it.
8 years 10 months ago #7 by zion187reigneth

Tezzating wrote: Whatever :P I MUCH prefer the black square case

jaycar had it right all those years ago :P
8 years 10 months ago #8 by Tezzating
Three ? I dont think so.. Street A remember. Are you even allowed to strap amps in Street A anymore ?

Street A – 1-12 or 2-10’s or 3-8’s / Maximum of 1 amp – 2 Conductors total between amp rack and sub enclosure

Only way to get more power is to step up a class, or get a bigger amp.. But it should be OK for 150-152 with this much power and a lot of tuning.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #9 by Andy
Yeah true, forgot about the strapping rule.

AMG Audio (DD Importers here now) have been VERY quiet over the past 6 months, this was because they were waiting on the new stock to arrive.....im told it has now arrived so DD should become more "prominent" in the OZ market once again.

How i would love 4 of those amps, probably more than some pure Class A goodness.....:laugh: ....hang on....:(
8 years 10 months ago #10 by Dylan
Something about re organising their buissness to?
8 years 10 months ago #11 by Tezzating
One thing you can say about ol' Phil, he knew how to whore the products when he had the line. One more thing you can say is he owes me $800.. bastard.

ANYWAYS ! DD looks after Liquid Audio, and Liquid Audio looks after me :) I'm quite excited to do something with my amp.. cant wait to see how much grunt it produces either ;)

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 10 months ago #12 by Dylan
Well, as long as you don't have to deal with Phil, DD is a top product. My 9515's are at any rate :P.

That amp should be around the same output as the origonal Z1 from what I have read.
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #13 by Tezzating

Dylan wrote: Well, as long as you don't have to deal with Phil, DD is a top product. My 9515's are at any rate :P.

That amp should be around the same output as the origonal Z1 from what I have read.

Good. We were dropping 151.8 in Jason's CRX with one Z1, a blue top, two 9512's with FA tuning.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 10 months ago #14 by amcinstaller
im also interested to see what comes out of your crx with two 3510s and the power of an m3 shoved up their asses!
8 years 10 months ago #15 by Tezzating
Clamped this with both subs (individually).. one was after playing silly buggers with paper in the port.

21.9A & 51.2V (2.33ohm, 1125W)
22.7A & 50.2V (2.21ohm, 1139W)

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 10 months ago #16 by Dylan
Static impedance and input voltage?
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #17 by Tezzating
1.1 & 1.15 respectively, sitting at 12.5V on the terminals (14.5V :P dropped to 12.5V).

Less than ideal conditions, should have tested this straight up and charged the battery instead of after shredding 4 pieces of paper and cooking a few woofers haha

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 10 months ago #18 by LiquidAudio
mmmmmmmmmmmmm3 sex
Time to create page: 4.136 seconds