× For posting reviews of equipment you have actually used. Please try and substantiate any claims with measured results.

Aerpro "Eoss" Slim Subwoofer Review

8 years 6 months ago #1 by Andy
There are plenty of options these days when it comes to compact bass, some brands offering shallow subwoofers coupled with slim enclosures, while others offer an "active" version, which includes an amplifier.

The "Eoss" subwoofer / enclosure is relatively new on the market, it features a quality 10" driver and a solid MDF enclosure finished with black carpet and alloy "Eoss" plate on the front:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Specifications:

* 10" subwoofer, single 4 ohm voice coil, 200wrms power handling.
* 16mm MDF enclosure, popular 2-bar grille.
* Dimensions (inc grille) - 45cm wide x 35cm high x 15cm deep.
* RRP - $99.99.

With a retail price of $100 my expectations were low, after plugging one in to our demo board i was impressed.....which warranted an incar audition. So the next chance i got i took it, the vehicle happened to be a small hatchback which i thought would suit the smaller sub / enclosure. I powered the sub from a Clarion XR2110, which produces approx 300wrms into a 4 ohm load. Initially i found its presence straight away, providing a nice little boost to the bass line of most songs. I quickly found the subwoofers limits though, hollowing out somewhat at higher volumes. The bass output also seemed to lack control and sounded muddy at times.
I decided to re-position the enclosure in the cargo area, it was placed in the corner facing sidewards for the first part of the test. This time i positioned it to gain the most from loading off the rear hatch by placing in the centre of the cargo area and facing the subwoofer rearwards. I got back in the car and played the same songs again....much improvement in control and output instantly. The muddiness was still there at the same times, but not something to be overly concerned with.

If you're after a small yet affordable solution to the lack of bass in your car, the Eoss subwoofer gets my vote.
8 years 6 months ago #2 by Tezzating
I take it you smoke Longbeach

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 6 months ago #3 by amcinstaller
those slim woofers definately need a smaller cargo space to work very well, but the design and output across the various brands is definately improving. i remember when pioneer put out the first ones (around here anyway), and we were all impressed with the size but disappointed with the output. several attempts were made to squeeze a little more out the little sub that (maybe) could, even ported boxes were tried, with no success. at the end of the day, unless youre driving a tiny regular cab pickup, id rate these style of woofers great as a midbass application, but not much further, as they tend to run out of breath on lower bass notes. is that similar to what you found with this woofer? what is the cone diameter and travel on this one?
8 years 6 months ago #4 by Andy
Yes Steve, it was for reference :P

Yeah definitely agree with the midbass staement, really anything under 60-70hz at decent volumes and they will hollow out / distort. With extra power this sub gets a little lower, but not much. This model has absolutely no info available, i removed the subwoofer to find out the power rating and impedance....:lol: I didnt measure the cone and wouldnt have a clue on travel.....next time i install one i'll have a closer look.

Most people wanting subs around here drive your typical small hatchbacks, so very little cargo room as it is. Ive done 3 in small hatches and another in an old 1950s Buick......here's a few terrible pics of the car and if you look closely you can see the sub behind the rear seat, didnt sound too bad actually.....had 500wrms up it though ;)

8 years 6 months ago #5 by amcinstaller
and with all that heavy steel i bet you cant even hear that little woofer crying in pain too! :laugh: the only reason i was asking cone and travel is because of the second "roll" that i see on the inside. or is that just the cone shape and only the foam on the outside is the real suspension. although after i think about it, it cant be a second roll, with being that shallow, it probly cant have much travel. :P you should see if you can get a guy into a custom box and about 3 or four of those across a back wall :laugh:
8 years 6 months ago #6 by Tezzating
That second rolls is for decoration I think you'll find. Probably trying to maximise surface area or some other such thing, but mostly decorative.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #7 by amcinstaller

amcinstaller wrote: although after i think about it, it cant be a second roll, with being that shallow, it probly cant have much travel. :P

i already found. :P
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #8 by Andy
Yeah just decoration / attempt to maximize cone area, the inner roll is actually the cone, whereas the outer one is the surround.....definitely dosent have much travel, maybe 10-15mm?

Actually that sub sounded better in the Buick than most of the other cars, and yeah it even has the solid section of sheet metal behind the seats.....i made a MDF panel and mounted an amp on either side of the sub, then mounted that to the car.....might have something to do with it?
8 years 6 months ago #9 by Tezzating
Yeah proper mounting will certainly help with the quality of the sound.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
Time to create page: 4.153 seconds