× For posting reviews of equipment you have actually used. Please try and substantiate any claims with measured results.

Feedback on woofers too..

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #1 by Tezzating
I've been away for too long.. didnt even know RE absorbed US Amps.. haha. Anyway, check these out, LMK what you've heard/seen/think:

There's this "Mach5" ?? 12" D2 triple stack. Looks like OEM parts: reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-...

Manufacturers site:
www.mach5audio.com/z...

There's this RE MX12. Not sure on the coils ? Just reconed.
reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-...

Same guy selling both. Wonder how fucked that Mach5 is ?

Then there's this Punch 10" D2. Not a great SPL sub, but at $100 its cheap.
reddeer.kijiji.ca/c-...

Which is the lot for local/in town, anything else I'd need to travel. That Mach5 looks good on paper.

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 7 months ago #2 by Tezzating
The Mach5 seems to lack a vented pole piece.. but I've been reading they did that to increase magnetic flux on the coil to compensate for the large gap between the coils and the motor & pole. They've tried to compensate with those huge vents in the basket near the top plate there.

I've been reading the dust caps blow off.. but thats understandable with the non-vented pole.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #3 by Tezzating
CV Stroker 18" & DD 9115:
calgary.kijiji.ca/c-...

Beyond Audio Inhuman 18:
edmonton.kijiji.ca/c...

RE MT 18:
edmonton.kijiji.ca/c...

The MT uses the same motor as that Mach5 and a similar basket design.. probably from the same factory ?

Also found a 15" MMATS Juggernaught for $400.. but too expensive and too big and too old..

Anyways, thats all for stuff I can readily find locally in terms of woofers that dont cost a bomb. There's a few others but they're over priced or just not that good.. as much as I wanna try a square subwoofer, I cant find L7's FS and L5's are over priced.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #4 by Tezzating
Designed this for the RE MX12... I think I want the RE guys.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This attachment is hidden for guests.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby

This message has attachments files.

9 years 7 months ago #5 by Dylan
No you don't. You want the Inhuman, or a CV stroker.
9 years 7 months ago #6 by Team SS - Sorin
the mach5 IXL18 are quite a nice woofer for the price.
9 years 7 months ago #7 by Tezzating
Team SS - Sorin wrote:

the mach5 IXL18 are quite a nice woofer for the price.

The SPL12 is available locally and cheap, two important factors for me.
also aiming for Street A which rules out 18"s (or 15"s)

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 7 months ago #8 by Team SS - Sorin
We had an SPL15 in a car recently - they blow dustcaps bigtime - no vented pole piece builds up pressure behind the cap and they're gone. Personally i thought it was a shame as the motor structure itself was quite sexy, but i definetely would not be using one for SPL use.
9 years 7 months ago #9 by Team SS - Sorin

The MT uses the same motor as that Mach5 and a similar basket design.. probably from the same factory

not true unfortunately - see my comment above, they are different motors (well at least the ones we got here in Australia are).

Personally I'd be looking at MT's or 9512's.

MT's are probably the best value for money as you will need composite cones on your 9512's if you plan to run any serious power to them, the MT's don't, but they need to be fully stacked - stiff spiders, dual tinsels etc.
9 years 7 months ago #10 by Dylan
With the amount of power Steve is limited to (by budget) I would be looking more towards the 2512 DD's.
9 years 7 months ago #11 by Andy
The SPL Dynamics XTRs used to blow dustcaps off all the time, still produced numbers......just got in the habit of bringing super glue to comps :P

Ive heard only good things about the Mach 5s....
9 years 7 months ago #12 by Dylan
Most people deal with the mach 5 IXL's not the SPL's. I do believe there are only a handful of SPL's in Australia.
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #13 by Tezzating
Team SS - Sorin wrote:

The MT uses the same motor as that Mach5 and a similar basket design.. probably from the same factory

not true unfortunately - see my comment above, they are different motors (well at least the ones we got here in Australia are).

I'm basing that coment on the images I've seen on Mach5's sites & the ones of the MT in the link to Kijiji. Mind you by "same" I should say "same design without a vented pole piece" :P just to clarify.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #14 by Tezzating
haha, was replying to this thread before work and noticed it was 5 to 8 ! ;)

Anyways, the DD, Inhuman & RE MT are out cos they're 18"s.

Based on the feedback (thanks guys) I think I'll run with the MX12.. gunna contact the owner about it and see whats up.
Gunna re-check the local forums and classifieds for subs & amps, but I wont be holding my breath on that.. gunna check the local shops too, but I think the best I'll find is Focal & Orion. Wow !

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 7 months ago #15 by Tezzating
RE MX12 is D2, showing 1.7 on a DMM.. my box project & woofer parameters were based on an RE of 1.7ohm so they're still current.

FYI, check the impedence curve in that project.. thats the important bit :P Its designed for max efficiency around 51-53hz. Thats roughtly where red should peak at with a bad wind screen & sunroof.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 7 months ago #16 by Dylan
I can't get any of those graphs working :(
9 years 7 months ago #17 by Tezzating
This topic has run its course (for me anyway).. going MX12 new thread here: decibelcar.com/index...

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
Time to create page: 3.978 seconds