TV spec

9 years 6 months ago #1 by zion187reigneth
What i need to look for when looking for a TV

My wants 40" LED LCD, any make/model(cheaper=better)
A TV that wont bog down on super fast action scenes
Not sure what else i should need, any ideas?

Specs
Well i have gone over many reviews and tech forums that tell the how and why of whats good but i could always do with some more imput.cheers
9 years 6 months ago #2 by Tezzating
To be honest, as long as you stick to Toshiba, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc, you will be fine. LED is nice (crisper), but its also about 20% more expensive than LCD. LCD is better than Plasma (forget about Plasma).
I've got a 75hz 37" Toshiba and its just fine for motor sports and stuff. My eye sights pretty bad at distances, and I dont wear glasses to watch TV :P so thats no big deal even if it IS blurry.

The new 120Hz TV's from Samsung & Sony are awesome for fast action sequences, but unless you get HD Cable or only want to watch DVD's/Play Games, you're probably wasting your money. ;)

I hope this helps.. I'd aim to get something with atleast 2 HDMI ports. Trust me, you'll fill them if you get Cable, WD TV, XBOX, Wii, DVD player.. :O

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 6 months ago #3 by zion187reigneth
Why not plasma, just interested in you take .most Movie buffs seem to like plasma more on all the HDTV forums.
they remind me of the SQ audiophile .
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #4 by Tezzating
The usual.. costs more for the same (picture) quality as competitor technology, they break if they get lay down at an angle, they use more electricity and get hotter.

I bet the same movie buffs have super expensive cables and everything else.. just like SQ guys :P

Its also getting harder to find one these days.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 6 months ago #5 by zion187reigneth
read somewhere a list of TV manufacturers that have opted out of Plasma.Now panasonic is opted out and they where meant to be the bench mark in PQ=$
9 years 6 months ago #6 by zion187reigneth
seems edge lit LED wasn't a Better fix and has caused some other effects
local dimming LED seems to be what the plasma fans say is "The better LCD", but often if all things are equal they push the viewing angle argument.
The TV room we will have is in a apartment and its long and thin,so currently with all seats the most angled seat is 60` degrees.
I am afraid that every shop i enter and look at models will not give me the test i want/need.
Personally i want LCD type but if i am forced to sit in the 60` chair which happens often now , i may hate my choice of TV.
9 years 6 months ago #7 by Dosserh
New style LCD are a lot better than the old ones, check some out from a wide angle at the stores, you'll be surprised.
9 years 6 months ago #8 by Guerrillaz
If your going for a 40" LCD you can get away with a resolution of 1080i cause you probably won't notice the difference over 1080p for watching TV... Plasmas are designed better now (pixel shifting technology), but still run rather warm. The nice thing though is that plasmas do play fast action sequences smoother then LCD's

As far as HDMI cables I picked a Rocket fish (best buy brand) and a generic one at XS Cargo (liquidation outlet) and the only difference was price... but Tezzating is right do buy a TV with more then one hdmi connection; also a new standard display port is emerging.
9 years 6 months ago #9 by zion187reigneth
I have 2 opposing formats here.
1. ripped HQ movies on ext hard drive
2. Russian sattelite TV 20+ channels. some ch are poor some are good.
9 years 6 months ago #10 by Tezzating
A lower quality picture is a benefit with low quality programming, cos it helps hide the major flaws in the signal ;).

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
9 years 6 months ago #11 by Tezzating
Any luck ?

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #12 by Tezzating
What did you end up buying ? I'm facing a similar connundrum right now.. we're looking at getting into a new TV.

In one corner we have the Sony Bravia 46" LCD with 1080P, 120Hz refresh and interconnectivity with our new surround.
Ticket price of $699.

In the other we have the behemoth LG Plasma 50", 1080i, 600hz refresh and interconnectivity with our new blueray player.
Ticket price of $579.

The clarity of both is pretty much spot on.. I give the edge to the Sony. Both are better than 70% of the LCD/LED/Plasma out there (did some comparisons).

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 11 months ago #13 by zion187reigneth
We never got a new TV. I wanted plasma and my wife wanted 32" so it didnt happen
8 years 11 months ago #14 by Tezzating
That doesnt help :(
I think the LG is going to win, its got an extended 3 year warranty and cheaper which leaves some room for a universal remote. There's currently 4 on the table :O

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 11 months ago #15 by Tezzating
Ended up snagging the LG.. bigger and cheaper, looks pretty phenomenal. All said and done (IE Hidden charges like environmental impact tax, GST, etc) $670, but still a lot cheaper than an equivalent LCD.

Movies looking awesome, watching Dispicable Me on it right now :P

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 11 months ago #16 by zion187reigneth
LG hey, hmmmm.i guess the fast scene rate is good on this model?
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #17 by Tezzating
I've seen better quality screens than this one.. Brivia X600 & Aquos with their LED, but they're also about double the price for the size. I've also seen far worse than this one too, and it was one of the better plasma's on display.

But I'm happy with the purchase of a plasma over LCD, so is the wife. When she saw the Samsung she wanted right next to it for $1699 :P she decided LED/LCD is out.

Picked up a Logitech Harmony 600 remote, best idea ever. Its programmed via the PC and downloads the button maps from the web. You can program it for macros. If I press "Watch TV", it switches to the AV input, turns on the amp and switches the TV input, and starts contorlling Tivo. Awesome. Well worth the $50, and it replaced 4 remotes !

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 11 months ago #18 by Tezzating
You inspired me to make this article about Plasma Vs LCD: decibelcar.com/index...

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 11 months ago #19 by zion187reigneth
im sitting on a gold mine here but ive got no arms and no tools and no mouth.

if i can make a buck ill get a big screen
8 years 11 months ago #20 by Dylan
We have a Pnansonic Plasma TV. It sucks pretty hard for action movies, anything fast paced or anything dark.

Lots of visible lag, next to no detail in the dark areas etc.
Time to create page: 4.092 seconds