TV spec

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #21 by Tezzating

zion187reigneth wrote: im sitting on a gold mine here but ive got no arms and no tools and no mouth.

if i can make a buck ill get a big screen

Start importing cheap LG plasma's and pedalling them ? Make a fortune for sure, I bet every guy there wants to be like rich American with big screen ? However, I think right now staying and living is more important to you than TV.

Dylan wrote: We have a Pnansonic Plasma TV. It sucks pretty hard for action movies, anything fast paced or anything dark.

Lots of visible lag, next to no detail in the dark areas etc.

You sure its a plasma ? Sounds more like an LCD with those problems.. Plasma's are best know for minimal lag, excellent black/contrast and fast action sequences.

Maybe you need to calibrate it ? And try "tuning" a station to static and run the static for 15 minutes, that will clean out any ghosting and other stupidity.

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 11 months ago #22 by Dylan
Dunno, Jess' mum got it for cheap cause she wanted a big screen reguardless of how much the CRT we were using was better quality?
8 years 11 months ago #23 by Tezzating
Yeah CRT can delivery some mighty fine image quality.. but their main draw backs are they're BIG, they're HEAVY, they're HOT and the curved screens distort the image :P. However, I've always prefer CRT to LCD for PC's, they're easier on the eyes.

Last night for a laugh I connected the old LCD up and played Family Guy - Its A Trap on it. There was weird pixelation artifacts.. so I calibrated it and it just didnt really help at all. In solid colour areas (say, a face) there would be off-colour pixels for no real reason ?
Playing the same this on the plasma the images looked spot on.

So in my limited, and crappy test, I can say I believe the plasma looks better and represents a far more realistic image.
I took some video footage of it on the LCD and plasma, I'll see if its usable tonight and will upload the comparison for you guys :D

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #24 by zion187reigneth
When i would cruuz the Tech forums you would always see a plasma fan saying " you have to be joking what world did you just come from etc etc" . These are top poster members doing this. On the other hand the only ones who would say LCD was better are the low post members and they would never get upset. I think there is something in this as because if someone was trying to say the earth was flat i would say " you have to be joking , what world did you come from". Most of the people in the know all agree that for block buster high speed action cinema "the PLasma" covers it very good.They also say in the same sentence that LCD has its place and is acceptable for many many situations , but if you want to know what covers all acceptable situations very good , then its the "PLasma"

More over they would offer a challenge, "go buy a LCD with new tech if you like , i did and ive done it more than twice, but if you want to sit with me in my high end cimena room we will be watching "plasma"

And that would pretty much end the thread until a new thread came along
8 years 11 months ago #25 by Tezzating
Well for me the deciding factor was we could get a bigger screen, CHEAPER, by going to plasma. It was $140 MORE for a 40" Sony Bravia with the bells & whistles for LCD's.. and I decided that yes the Bravia has many superior features.. but 10" bigger is 10" bigger, and I can enjoy that every single time I turn it on.

But for standard definition TV (even digital), I dont think there's much difference between the two cos the signals pretty dirty anyway.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 11 months ago #26 by zion187reigneth
When ever we go food shopping i find an excuse to wiz past the TV section.The best looking picture i have seen and its always almost the same in every shop i look in is the LCD backlight versions.
8 years 11 months ago #27 by Tezzating
Yeah thats why a lot of people get recommended to just go with LCD. Out of the box they just work, look better and dont need any adjustments. Calibrating a Plasma however reveals a much better picture quality as I have found.

Tonight I'll see if the images turned out OK and I'll upload them, so you guys can compare the two. I dont think they will cos the back lighting on the LCD over exposed the images, but we'll see.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 9 months ago #28 by Tezzating
Hey ! I finally figured out how to get a decent shot of the screen with my camera :D. So here's Frodo & Gandalf on the Bluray of LOTR - Fellowship of the Ring. Was running a very high ISO and anti-shake, so the image isnt spectacular but still..

Its Decibelcar.com Baby

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #29 by Dypefipse
Hey all,
Can you help me understand HDMI cables? any links you can offer?
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #30 by Tezzating
HDMI wiring map might help you.. what do you want to know ?

Its Decibelcar.com Baby

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

8 years 2 months ago #31 by zion187reigneth
I worked around not getting a big screen.
I just kick back and position my laptop as close as my eyes can take it without the screen being to big.I paid for some awesome headphones aswell ,so all good .
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds