Dylan's Not a Mitsubishi Lancer.

8 years 4 months ago #1 by Dylan
I thought it's a bout time I posted up some info on my AWD Naturally aspirated stereo on wheels.

It's a 2000 model Subaru Forester, Blue/Gold two tone with 18" Rays CE28n ripoffs and, a stereo that is capable of 144.9dB of output on music. However, it did not start out life 10 years ago this awesome. Here is the story of how the awesomeness came to be.

Here is what I started with almost 2.5 years ago.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Pretty boring and stock looking right?

Well not long after I bought the forester it's slow transformation into awesomeness began with a 2.5" cat back sports exhaust and, the darkest legal window tint the NSW (That's in Australia for those that don't know) laws would allow (35%, FML)

Then I decided to start on the sound deadening as I really hate rattles and bass induced flexing. Contrary to what all the tards on YouTube think, flexing is NOT awesome. Anyway, this is how you rip the interior out of your Forester.

And this is how you kill 2.5 bulk packs of Dynamat Extreme, and 2 tubes of black Sikaflex.

Not long after that the center diff decided to up and die on me. So this put the progress to awesomeness on hold for about $1800.

Then I decided to throw in a super temporary system for the first SPL competition in my local area sense forever.

This setup pulled a disappointing 125dB. So I got the shit's and decided to kill it.

After that, I decided to install the front speakers and, amp to run them. I had these laying around courtesy of Tezzzating formally known in Australian SPL circles as BlackIce.

8 years 4 months ago #2 by Dylan
I installed the front stage as per THIS dBCar.com article.

Then I went through several different boot installs. None were ever completed. I had 2 sealed 12"s Treo Engeneering SSi's in Fiberglass enclosures. Then I changed to a common chamber sealed MDF enclosure. Then I glassed out the spare tire well and went ported with the 12"s. subs and port facing the roof. This last setup was good for 142.2dB on music dB drag legal.

Only one of the amps in the last pic is connected to the woofers.

In between all of these different installs I also managed to get some performance mods done to the car. These are, 18x7.5" rims with performance tires, 22mm front sway bar and alloy end links, 24mm rear sway bar, heavy duty mounts and alloy end links, rear adjustable lateral arms, a heap of urethane bushes and STi forester springs. This improved the handling of the car dramatically.

Then one of the local car accessory stores decided to hold an SPL competition so I got my ass into gear and put my 2 Digital Designs 9515g's in the forester and ran them off both JBL BPx 2200.1's.

I managed to get 145.7dB "dB Drag legal" and 147.1dB with the drivers side door open.

I took out second over all at this comp. C.C.S.S came first with 148.1dB.

I also managed to get myself in a magazine!

After a while I got board with the 2 12" woofers. So I threw in 1 of the DD 9515's.

This setup won me another local SPL comp with a score of 144.9dB

Just recently I traveled 5 hours to the state capital for a sound off at a car audio store called "Doran Pro Audio" where I managed to get a 146.5dB with that same 1 15" and 1 amp install. I won my class and was the second loudest car on the day.

That concludes my story of awesomeness for the moment.

As always I am changing things up. I am working on getting some new equipment and getting louder so stay tuned.
8 years 4 months ago #3 by Tezzating
Dude props for a great "build camp" thread !

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 4 months ago #4 by Dylan
Thanks man.
I really need to get stuck into some custom A pillars and door trims for the second set of JBL GTi 6.5"s Tony is sourcing for me.
8 years 4 months ago #5 by soccerx6
i like those tester boxes you ran with the plugged up baffle on the back
8 years 4 months ago #6 by Dylan
Built an SPL box for a single DD 15" today. Will throw some pics up later tonight.
8 years 4 months ago #7 by Dylan

The box has a removable port, baffle, and side. So I can test volume, and port area/length.
8 years 4 months ago #8 by zion187reigneth
keep up the good work,excellent :)I hope you become Top SPL champ in your desired field
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #9 by Tezzating
I would have put the sub to the right a little more.. but ultimately it probably wont make a huge difference to your SPL :P. Looks good, you going to brace it once its all tested ? cos some outside bracing, and smaller braces for the port would really help your SPL.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 4 months ago #10 by Dylan
I put the sub in the middle because the end wall of the box is movable so I can test volume :) When I get the volume sorted I'm going to make a new baffle with the sub as far to the side away from the port as I can. Some threaded rod bracing is on the card's when I have the volume and port nailed down.

Thanks Zion :)
8 years 4 months ago #11 by Andy
Nice work......you have my blessing to crack 150 :laugh:
8 years 4 months ago #12 by Dylan
ROFL, thanks mate!
8 years 4 months ago #13 by Tezzating
Yep, threaded rod :D

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 3 months ago #14 by Dylan
So I managed to track down my ultimate daily subs, and for a stupid cheap price to. I ordered them on Thursday, and they arrived today.
Over the weekend I built an enclosure for them and threw in my pair of Treo SSi 12.22's for the time being. For shit's and giggles I threw them on my SPL meter and they managed a 146.0dB @50Hz not to bad, certainly enough for a daily driver.
So upon waking up this morning and finding 2 decent sized and rather weighty boxes sitting outside my front door I got really excited and opened them up immediately. They contained 1 Treo SSX 12.44 each. Awesome!
Out come the SSi 12"s and in go the SSX 12"s. I managed to stem my excitement for a few moments. Long enough to grab some comparison pics of the SSi and SSX 12".

And here they are nice and snug in their new home.

After listening to music with a massive smile on my face (Talk about low end extension and tight punchy bass lines!) I decided to throw my meter in and see what they are capable of. They managed to pull a 148.6dB. I was VERY happy with this, as this was a straight drop in from the SSi's to the SSX's. Same box, same power, 2.6dB gain, and they aren't even broken in yet :D !

Needless to say, I'm not really scratching the surface of their potential yet, as they are only getting about 1200WRMS each from a single JBL BPx 2200.1. So it looks like I'll have to throw the other one in there next week some time So I can give them 2400WRMS each, and hopefully max out my SPL meter. :D

That's about it for this awesome update to one awesome build thread.
8 years 3 months ago #15 by Dylan

Not to bad considering this setup plays music very well.

Tony found me a blue sticker. Blue Doran sticker+Blue Forester=Epic amounts of Awesome. Infact, the only way to be MORE awesome than this is to have a DecibelCar.com sticker on your car. Oh, wait, I do. Pics of that tomorrow when the camera will actually be able to see something.

My first run of the day I managed to blow the lock barrel out of the tailgate, so whilst fixing that I also removed the rear wiper motor as I'll be shaving it eventually.

I also managed to throw in the second BPX before the comp. I only gained 1.5ish dB from adding it. So I took a look at my voltage drop. 11.8VDC at battery, 11.2VDC at the amps. Could be my issue? I'm going to try replacing the standard battery up front with the largest Odyssey unit I can fit, I'll also replace the dual 4awg power runs to the amps with dual 0awg runs. I'll also put a roundover on the outside end of my slot port.

I also met Andrew Jackson at the Doran comp yesterday. After having a chat to him, I think I may measure my imp rise and, if it is epic I'll try re wiring the subs and dropping it down to 1 ohm per amp with the amps running in bridged mode (the manual tells me I should re configure them to parallel mode when dropping the static impedance to less than 2 ohms).

If all of this doesn't put me over 148's on the termlab and max out my meter I may just stab car audio in the face :D
8 years 3 months ago #16 by Tezzating
Is Andu doing SPL again ? Or just goes to Dorans to say hello ? I aint seen him for years now..

The gain is roughly what I would expect (I've NEVER gotten 3dB gain from double power).. yes you probably have awesome impdence rise.. I think I was getting 4.5ohm when using the Atomic D1's on those amps.. so 2ohm rising to 4.5ohm.

Yes, a bigger battery will work better upfront. More cable is also better. Do you have 2 runs of -ve going between the batteries ? There's a potential gain in that as well.

Dont bother to try and bridge 1ohm, the amp will just protect I assure you.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 3 months ago #17 by Dylan
He was just dropping by to have a look and say hello. Apparently he doesn't even own a car anymore.

I have 2x 0awg negatives going from the rear battery to the chassis, and about 5 0awg negatives to the chassis upfront.
8 years 3 months ago #18 by Dylan
So, I went and picked up a couple of stickers from the sticker shop today.

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #19 by Tezzating
Looking pretty sweet there man !

edit: also, try running some earths from the front battery to the rear. You should see an improvement.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #20 by Dylan
I just went and did a bad, bad thing.

I now have 8,000wrms worth of amps on laybuy.

As the forester is no longer my daily ride either, I'll be ripping the rear seats out after rego. Moving the battery (possibly adding another one) and making annother box for the DD 15's.

Putting myself is Super Street classes but not running a real wall should be fun!
Time to create page: 1.493 seconds