2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara DDiS Turbo Diesel

5 years 7 months ago #101 by Tezzating
Ford 6l Powerstrokes use variable vanes too.. they love to freeze in one position, over boost and blow the heads off. haha.

Tow pack usually ups the gearing a bit.. my trucks 3.55 gearing, tow pack gearing is 3.73 for better pickup. Mind you it also adds a towbar, extra coolers for trans and steering etc. all of which I have except the 3.73 gearing. Point is, the acceleration is better with a tow pack and not so bad when you up tire sizes. My big mudders make my truck a bit of a pig around town and off the line unless you pedal it, then the fuel economy really suffers.

Good luck and have fun on your 4x4 trip, take plenty of pix too.

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 7 months ago #102 by Andy
Lovely, well hopefully this little Garret dosent do that!

I dont mind it around town now actually, its slower off the line now but i can atleast sit on 60km/h in 4th instead of 5th to keep the revs around 2k.
These tyres are actually alot quieter than the old ones ever were! I can really tell it has more rolling resistance now as it wont roll as far in neutral anymore (coasting), thats probably alot of the reason why my fuel economy has gotten worse too.

Im off today to a 4WD track to go fishing in the kayak :P This "dam" is highly restricted, but if you have a 4WD and Google Earth, you gain special permission ;)

:laugh:
5 years 6 months ago #103 by Tezzating
I await a post in which you complain about some scratching on the Suzuki ;)

Good luck fishin', take a lot of pix !

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #104 by Andy
Haha, i got one :(
Its not too bad, 90% will buff out.

Did about 2 hours of 4WD tracks and climbed up from 300m to 1000m altitude, the GV didnt miss a beat. Only bottomed out twice but I have on order some raised King Springs for her so that will give another 25-30mm of lift.....couple of real scary "tree bridges" across 4-5m drops, but with some luck we made it through them :unsure:

Only got a few pics of one of the creeks we stopped at.....will be heading out again in a few days so will get some decent ones.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #105 by Andy
The next step in "raising" the GV arrived today......a set of front and rear King Springs, supposedly raising the vehicle 30mm. Its booked in tomorrow at my local suspension place, i didnt wanna risk breaking something doing the swap here, plus i need an alignment anyway. $290 inc align sounded reasonable to me B)

Hopefully that will give me the extra clearance needed, apparently the ride is stiffer too, and dosent sag so much under loading.

Also fitted a set of $30 35w HIDs to the foglights, in 4300k to match the low beams. Im going to leave the OEM high beam and Lightforce spotlight globes as halogen for the time being. I dont like the long warm up time on HIDs, rather have instant light for high beams.

This message has an attachment image.

5 years 6 months ago #106 by amcinstaller
little bit of funny business with a relay and diode, and you could have all 4 lights come on at once for high beam :ohmy: :evil: country mikes been doing it for a while for the chebby pickups here.
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #107 by Andy
I already have the stock halogen high beams and the spotlights coming on at high beam.....the fog lights will serve for of a close range purpose while the high beams are on, the GV switches the low beams (my 100w HIDs) off when going to high beam, so i loose abit of close range light. I can turn the fog lights on and off via the stock switch on the dash.
Just checked them tonight actually, lol.....nice and bright. I dont think i could get away with driving in traffic for too long without being flashed several times :smoke:

Fitted the raised King Springs today.....measured before and after and got 28mm more clearance. Im sure it'll drop abit once the springs settle but im happy even if it drops 10mm.

The uploading pics problem seems to be related to FF browser, on IE it works fine.
5 years 6 months ago #108 by Tezzating
There's a problem uploading files ? :P never noticed.

I would think you'd see more of a lift.. guess your old springs were still pretty good. Normally they're all sagged out and you lower the car on fresh ones and the ride height looks the same haha. Offroad ability is a lot of fun.. now you need some skid pans.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #109 by Andy
Yeah through FF you cant seem to select pics.....through IE its fine :)

Ive been looking at "bolt on" underbody plates made to suit, but for $720 im thinking i could fabricate up something myself.

The old springs must have been still good, the shop never returned them with the car. I noticed but frankly, cant be bothered storing some old springs when i know these ones will be sweet for many years to come. The ride is alot firmer, and the extra height is very noticeable.....i think the firmer springs are needed when raising anyway, changes the centre of gravity and crap :laugh:

Another 4WD trip tomorrow......this one is abit more advanced, will make sure to stop and take plenty of pics, wouldnt want those Aussie members overseas forgetting about our world heritage listed Rainforests now would we? :smoke:
5 years 6 months ago #110 by Andy
Had a good trip, no issues of concern and no underbody scrapes :)

Bad news was most oft he tracks were closed due to poor conditions or fire. I probably should have checked the NPWS website before leaving, as they have all the track closures on there :dry:

Got to head up some un-common tracks and found a nice little "un found" swimming hole. The water is straight outta the rainforest :P
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #111 by Andy
Had a good trip, no issues of concern and no underbody scrapes :)

Bad news was most oft he tracks were closed due to poor conditions or fire. I probably should have checked the NPWS website before leaving, as they have all the track closures on there :dry:

Got to head up some un-common tracks and found a nice little "un-touched" swimming hole. The water is straight outta the rainforest :P

This message has attachments images.

5 years 6 months ago #112 by amcinstaller
yay poser shot!! :laugh:

just kidding looks great. i was always wondering about so little lift but then it donned on me, its still a unibody rig isnt it? half shafts would definately be complaining any higher. jesus h christ those are some giant bumper lights!!
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #113 by Andy
:laugh:

Yeah was disappointed not to get around the tops like i wanted, but there's always next time......in winter i might even get to see snow for the first time :ohmy:

The Suzuki is all independent suspension, so yeah, the half shafts dont like the angle apparently any higher than 50mm lift, and you cant lift the body :(
The clearance i have now is adequate for what i need. I deliberately went up some rougher tracks on the last trip, with some pretty deep rutting etc......didnt get stuck or rubbed the belly so im happy.

The lights i love, with them on i can see for 500m easily......they've probably saved me from hitting a kangaroo a few times already :laugh:
5 years 6 months ago #114 by amcinstaller
now youll have to worry about the kangaroos being too blind and not being able to get out of the way! :laugh:

i wonder if there is a way that you could either lower a front diff or something to achieve a better angle with more lift. mind you, without crawling around the unit its kinda hard to say :huh:
5 years 6 months ago #115 by Tezzating
This reminds me I want a nudge bar and some spotlamps..

looks good; man I cant wait until spring time again so I can go out fishing the rivers and creeks.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #116 by Andy
Haha, yeah im going with a proper "ARB" bullbar and winch in the next 12-18 months. It opens up the approach angle abit as you need to chop away 90% of the stock bumper :ohmy:

That photo of the river with all the rocks in it is actually the 4WD crossing.....about 2 foot of water and some pretty big rocks to contend with......needless to say that was the turn around point for the GV :laugh: Those big F250s on the other hand :thumbs:

Theres a guy over here that has raised his 100mm, but has major problems with the shafts popping out!! lol. He's modified the whole thing and spent several 1000s just to get another 50mm :huh: Go buy a 4WD you can raise, hmmm, like a Hilux? :laugh:
5 years 6 months ago #117 by Tezzating
Yeah I think the limiting factor on GV mods is that there's a ready availability of modifications for a lot of other 4x4's that have been around since the dawn of time.. especially when you can snag a diesel Hilux which is already higher and costs less and has a lot more available. That guy who pops shafts would be better off having a driveline guy doing custom shafts for him. Lengthened with a slip joint would give height and articulation with reliability IMO.

But you'd need an awesome driveline guy like my awesome driveline guy to do the work :P.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 6 months ago #118 by Andy
lol....i just dont get why people buy a GV and want 6"+ lift :silly:
Probably just trying to get the complete 4WD package like a Landcruiser / Prado / Patrol, just for half the price.

Got the fuel economy down to around 7L/100kms again today, so provided i dont get into it too much trying to accelerate away from lights etc, and slowly let it go through the RPM range, it seems to have not made as much a difference as first thought :)
5 years 6 months ago #119 by amcinstaller
also with the lift, the front shafts would likely eventually see binding issues due to the extreme angle theyd seeat full droop
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #120 by Tezzating
I think the GV is a proper offroader, but you need to appreciate its limits. You'd certainly get further down a gnarly surface than you would in a Jeep Compass or RAV4 thats for sure.

Start recycling used chip oil and the cost of diesel wont seem so bad ;). Besides, 7l to 100km is pretty amazing.. better than my Festiva or Laser managed for sure. And obviously better than the 18.8l to 100km my trucks currently giving me :D

[edit] and that 18.8 isnt so bad considering an early 2000's SS Commodore manages to return the same economy from a smaller car with better aerodynamics and less power haha

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds