2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara DDiS Turbo Diesel

5 years 10 months ago #121 by Andy
It really is starting to seem that way, i mean when i did my research before buying one of the quotes that always stood out was "The GV will take its owner more places than the owner dare take it". haha.

Nope, we have a "premium" diesel now......Caltex Vortex Diesel, its around the same price as normal diesel (and unleaded too). Its the only thing ive ran in it since i bought it, nearly 50,000km. Yet to change the filter though :dry:

The fuel economy is great, the 95kw isnt :laugh:
5 years 10 months ago #122 by Tezzating
Yeah well.. not a lot of grunts never a good thing. Does it have a lot of torque ? Turbo diesels usually have gobs of torque

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 10 months ago #123 by Andy
Yeah it has a crapload of torque, well it feels like 500nm with only 95kw, but in reality its more like 300 :laugh:

The whole system is really set up for when the turbo is on boost and ts revving over 2k.......if you let it dip to say 1500 and try to make a gap in the traffic etc, haha, nope.

Its weird for a diesel i think, acts more like a 4cyl petrol. But, many diesel GV owners reckon they'll sit happily at 3500RPM for extended periods :blink:
5 years 10 months ago #124 by amcinstaller
wow thats high :blink:
5 years 10 months ago #125 by Tezzating
All the smaller turbo diesels I've driven (old work Courier diesel, Hilux & a Pug) needed their tits revved off and delivered awesome power/torque over a 1000RPM range until redline. Doesnt surprise me the GV is a similar situation

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 10 months ago #126 by Andy
Yep, even though you rev the guts out of it and dont pussy foot around, the economy virtually stays the same!! Seems my way of economic driving in this type of diesel isnt very effective!
5 years 9 months ago #127 by Andy
Ive picked up a set of Hertx HSK-165XL 150w RMS High Energy 6.5" Splits:

www.hertzaudiovideo....

Im planning to firstly Dynamat the front doors and run them from a Kenwood KAC-8404 4 Channel amp (2 x 180w RMS bridged).

Stay tuned for pics.......havent even pulled the door interiors off the whole time ive owned it :whistle:
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #128 by Andy
Got the splits in today, but hacked the tweeter mounts :( I'll leave them be for now and probably custom make some pods from the pillars, the tweeters are in anyway :laugh:

Much better staging now, but really missing the sub bass......so ive whacked in the old faithful $2 Pioneer sub in a sealed 2 cube box for now. Certainly makes a big difference on the 2 hour drive to work and back :)

Will get some pics when i dynamat, was appalled with my tweeter job so put the trims on without taking pics.
5 years 9 months ago #129 by Tezzating
I used to hang around some eco-modding forums a while back.. and one of the things they said with the larger and heavier vehicles is that you'll probably gain a better average MPG by accelerating more quickly up to speed then using the vehicles inertia to maintain speed. The longer you take to get to speed the longer the engines working hard and drinking fuel, being the theory.

I cant say I've proven it conclussively, but I do find if I'm a bit harder on the Go pedal to get to speed then maintain it, I gain MPG around town versus just piddling around.

Good job on the audio.. I need a sub.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 9 months ago #130 by Andy
Yeah that sounds like what i need to try out, will give it a go anyway :laugh:

Ive got the Option Audio XT back in the boot now, with the external port firing sideways and amp underneath ;)
5 years 9 months ago #131 by Tezzating
But is it loud ? :P

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 9 months ago #132 by Andy
B)

You know me, should do 142s on TL. :laugh:
5 years 8 months ago #133 by Andy
Well in the quest for a nice loud daily, i have upgraded both the sub and amp :laugh:

Amp now is an EQ D3 at 1 ohm, 3,000wrms.
Sub is now a DD 9512, dual 0.5s.

Whacked the termlab in a was suprised with the 144.3 it did, so wired coils together for 0.25......blew the internal 30A fuse on music within 5 minutes. Replaced fuse with another 30A and ran tones, about 1.5 seconds :thumbs:
Replaced with a 40A version and just blew a dozen tones or so without issue, she is getting hot though :whistle:
Here is the result.....good enough for 3rd in the country anyway :)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

5 years 8 months ago #134 by Dylan
Not bad.
5 years 8 months ago #135 by Andy
5 years 8 months ago #136 by Tezzating
Thats pretty awesome. Now run some extra 0g and it'll doing 147's :P

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 8 months ago #137 by amcinstaller
nice! i like the camera flutter :beer:
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #138 by Andy
Better show the setup.....in and out in 30 min :P

I know i'd probably gain by flipping the sub, but its a nice way to go for daily, cools the sub better IMO.
For daily i turn the box around so the port is side firing and move the D31, so i can have the rear seats in their normal position, it still does 144.8s :laugh:

30cm of 70mm2 enough? That D31 loves it :)

Im about to re-tune using a 1m long port. Trying to get the peak down to say 40hz. Alot of the notes in the music i listen to (drum n bass, electronic etc) peaks around this mark, with the current setup i can still hear the sub "hollowing" out when the bass gets abit lower, so i'll be hoping to correct that and get some nice lows happening.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

5 years 8 months ago #139 by Tezzating
Nice paint job on that box man !
Come the summer I think I'll do an install in my truck, it needs some bass to go with those Focal's up front :P

That EQ should be fine with the battery sitting on top and two huge cables up its arse

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #140 by Andy
Cheers! :beer:

I have hertz Hi Energy splits, in dynamatted doors, being fed 180wrms each from a nice Kenwood amp....very impressed with their output, they really are rated for 150wrms.....extreme midbass if you cut them at the right frequency and slope.

I think it needs a new "SPL" box. This one is only 16mm (32mm baffle) with no bracing and TBH i think its leaking :laugh:

I sorta "cringe" when testing it for SPL, didnt really wanna shake the crap outta the best car ive owned :eek:

But its all only a temp thing, just prove to a few "youngins" i can produce numbers with a simple setup :laugh:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds