2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara DDiS Turbo Diesel

5 years 4 months ago #141 by amcinstaller
the black gaffer tape really is a nice touch. also, i like lots of midbass, especially when you can feel it and it beats the kidneys, just a touch :)
5 years 4 months ago #142 by Andy
Holy crap.....it hasnt got that much midbass! :ohmy:

Going to tune lower, see what happens. :smoke:
5 years 4 months ago #143 by Tezzating
When you got the gear handy you can make good numbers easy.
May as well start bracing what you got, I bet bracing gets the SPL right up

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 4 months ago #144 by Andy
:laugh: yep, its got plenty of flex now, broke the sunglasses holder in the roof and im pretty sure this windscreen isnt going to last long. :dry:

Im thinking of Dynamat. But too scared to rip apart the interior.......do it on customers cars all day, every day. Just dont wanna do it to mine :laugh:

The 16mm sides and bottiom will be flexing pretty bad, im going to build a new box, a little bigger so i can tune lower for daily with a shorter port. Dont know how the DD will like it, but we'll see......its been bullet proof so far.
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #145 by Andy
Thought i would post an update to this thread. Have "acquired" a new woofer to upgrade from the DD 9512........
What would i upgrade to from that? RE Audio MT18, dual 1.4 coils. Yes, its from Jasons VW Van, it was purchsed from him and sat in storage. Since then its seen about 1500w for 6 months total. Needless to say the suspension is still VERY stiff and tinsels / spiders fine.
It will be wired to 0.7 on the PHD3 so around 3500w, probably closer to 3. The RE MT18 is rated at 4000w. Here's a pic next to a Clarion 12 :laugh:

Got to work building an enclosure......36mm thick and around 8.5 cubes. With the 10" port it peaked at 38hz and 146.6db in car:

Ive since cut the box down to around 5.5 cubes and resined the inside. This the work im doing on the mouth for the external 10" port:

Got a new decent router, and made up a circle cutting jig, why didnt i do this years ago? So much easier and accurate. :)

Got a nice toy.....scared to put it in my router......1.5" radius flare anyone?

I'll be making some nice MDF port flares from now on.......first up is the external flare for the 18" box.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

5 years 1 month ago #146 by amcinstaller
gawd damn!! go big or go home on all fronts! very nice
5 years 1 month ago #147 by Andy
Well got the rest of the box down today, and fitted into the car....Street C legal ;)

Here's a few pics of todays work:

My router hasnt got a large enough baseplate for that router bit, and i couldnt be bothered heating up that 10" pipe right now, so it'll have to wait :laugh: I knows theres a good gain in that anyway. Will post lab results in a few days.

5 years 1 month ago #148 by Tezzating
The TL is sitting right there on the seat, I can see it. No excuses man :P

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 4 weeks ago - 5 years 4 weeks ago #149 by Andy
:laugh: :laugh:

I knew you would spot that....dammit! I really wanted to flare the port first, and spend some time tuning. I'll get that chance Thursday night at the shop ;)

Yes, that is also a set of scales in the background of one of those pics......box weighs in at 56.8kg without the sub :ohmy:

Here's my way of flaring 10" pipe in 10 minutes :P

Worked like a charm, the flare is a little off centre but it will do for now.

5 years 4 weeks ago #150 by Tezzating
So you heat it then drop the palat onto it ? or palat + heat ?

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 4 weeks ago #151 by amcinstaller
very nice, and too bad on the router baseplate. I knew that was too much bog (I think that's what you guys call it??) to have been treated to that massive bit. also, its been a long time since ive looked too heavily at port theory and all that jazz, but isn't your port mouth a little close to the wall? put that cone to the wall and cannon that big bitch port straight up! or maybe just at the back glass :laugh:
5 years 4 weeks ago #152 by Andy
I heated up the pipe for about 5-6 minutes and then whaked it under the pallet. Yeah i did use too much bog (or filler) on the internal port mouth, but as i was filling in the gaps i realized i mixed up way too much, so whacked it all on anyway. Shouldnt make a big difference i think. The external port mouth is about 300mm away from the side panel, any AFAIK you need to keep the diameter of the port away from the loading object (so a 10" port requires at min 10"), but ive tested this out and sometimes, if you have too much port "suffocating" the mouth yeilds a small gain. ;)

As promised, whacked it on the lab:

Getting better, the peak has risen ALOT (14hz) but the SPL only about 2.5db. Im thinking that port needs to be chopped anyway, so will do some serious testing next Thursday night. I have a comp on the 27th to attend, my first DB Drag in nearly 3 years :laugh:

This message has an attachment image.

5 years 3 weeks ago #153 by amcinstaller
yea, the bit about the loading distance sounds familiar. a guy I worked with once made this big box (about 8-10 cubes) for a 15" MA Audio woofer and decided a huge slot port was the answer. port ended up about 10" by about 18" and however deep but while using 3 box walls on his port only left about 2 inches between his inside port end and the back wall :laugh: hit whoppin 130s all day long :laugh:
5 years 3 weeks ago #154 by Andy
Haha, yeah thats a massive bottleneck right there.....bet it had a heap of port noise too :laugh:

Hopefully it has 1-2db in it yet, 150s from a street c setup in a stock SUV is nice i reckon :)
5 years 3 weeks ago #155 by Tezzating
Ideally its 1.5x diameter = minimum distance.. but when you start playing with big boxes and shit you dont really get enough room to be picky :P

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #156 by Andy
Well, smallish update :P

Decided to whack some borrowed RE monos onto the MT, these are rated at 2200wrms @ 10hm each, they were connected at 0.35 strapped ;)

Went to my first Sanctioned DB Drag event last night in almost 3 years.....
The setup, both seats still go back fully and all is Street B legal:

First run:

Second run:

3rd in Australia and 0.1 from my PB isnt a bad return to DB Drags i think :)

5 years 2 weeks ago #157 by Andy
We also put my box in Steve's Corolla off the same monos:

Not bad from a single 18, i thinks 152s are easy there ;)

This message has an attachment image.

5 years 2 weeks ago #158 by Tezzating
Thats pretty awesome man, good job.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 1 week ago #159 by Andy
Thanks, i thought it was a nice little achievement. Its all out of the car now, im thinking i need a small hatch to really give the street classes a good go........still looking for a good stock AU delivered 2 seater CRX :laugh:
5 years 1 week ago #160 by Tezzating
Isnt there a red one up the street ? :P Go buy it

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
Time to create page: 0.371 seconds