2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara DDiS Turbo Diesel

6 years 1 month ago #61 by Andy
Yes i would say so, i purchased it off eBay for $45 shipped.....its rated at 2 x 200w RMS / 1 x 800w RMS at 4 ohm.....who knows what it does at 1 ohm.
6 years 1 month ago #62 by amcinstaller
too bad efi computers dont like 18 volts :lol:
6 years 1 month ago #63 by Andy
:laugh:
No im thinking theyn wouldnt :laugh:

Actually when i first put this system in i only had the stock battery.......driving home one day the check engine light came on and the car went into "limp mode" (no turbo). Pulled over and connected up my iPhone to the OBD scanner, got a code relating to the turbo wastegate not closing, re-set the ECU and the code, drove off and it hasnt come back since.......the system was up full noise at the time so it could have been the vibrations not closing the wastegate or it could have even been low voltage from the single stock battery.

Either way, the code hasnt come up again in nearly a week of driving.
6 years 1 month ago #64 by amcinstaller
is it actually an electric wastegate and not a vacuum one?
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #65 by Andy
Well now you have me thinking.....it could be vacuum (dont know much about turbos). It hasnt happened again so crossed fingers it was bass related :unsure:

It will be going on the meter tomorrow night for a quick tune, will post results.
6 years 1 month ago #66 by amcinstaller
with the weight of the spring and other various parts, i dont think its bass related, unfortunately ;)
6 years 1 month ago #67 by Tezzating
Who knows, car do things. When i had the Laser my cheap boost controller fell apart; instant 22PSI :P

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #68 by Andy
Yep :huh:

Tested the system out on Thursday night to see what the mods / additions did to my score.......0.3db???

Ive been over everything and couldnt find the issue, until today. The sub started making a weird ticking sound at certain frequencies, i removed it and had a close look on the bench. The spider is almost completely separated from the cone! Apparently a common issue with these XT subwoofers.

Thankfully Option Audio replaced the sub straight away, and i now have a brand new XT in my passenger footwell :rock:
Hopefully this explains the little gain i got from things im sure will reap atleast 1db gain. For now i have put the famous $2 Pioneer sub in this enclosure, sure takes a beating :lol:
6 years 1 month ago #69 by amcinstaller

Tezzating wrote: Who knows, car do things. When i had the Laser my cheap boost controller fell apart; instant 22PSI :P

ive seen head gaskets pushed out that way :laugh:

and i love cheap pioneer woofers, they do tend to take a beating. the old ones anyway :huh:
6 years 1 month ago #70 by Andy
Here's a couple of pics of the separation and glue fail :lol:

Ive added another layer of 16mm MDF to the baffle to give it a little more strength, plus i dont like screwing a sub into 16mm :lol:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

6 years 1 month ago #71 by Tezzating
Nice. A well braced "shitter" 16mm box can perform pretty well! And good job finding the problem so quickly.
Kinda weird how the spiders just detaching? But then again when I bought my Atomic 10"s they've done the exact same thing.

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
6 years 1 month ago #72 by amcinstaller
ive seen many a woofer separate there. also had one PG sub that the former ripped a shred and wedged itself into the magnet. coil was fine, just the former died :huh:
6 years 1 month ago #73 by Andy
Hmm, well its the first time for me! Atleast now i'll know what to listen for if it happens again, lol.
The replacement woofer has a different material for the spider, much darker and the glue bead looks alot thicker......obviously an "upgraded" version ;)

Its not 16mm anymore, ive added a double baffle thanks very much, ive also given it the official SPL covering material, gaffer tape :P

I now have two Vibe 1250w RMS monos to play with before the Commodore is finished, so this woofer is about to see 2500w for a local comp, im not running :smoke:
6 years 1 month ago #74 by amcinstaller
maybe youll get lucky and get to uncover another weakness in the woofer, or maybe even sieze it in full outward motion!!! i love show comp destruction :laugh:
6 years 1 month ago #75 by Andy
Yep, well if this woofer dosent like 1000w RMS, its gonna cry pain when i shove twice the power up it, at 2 ohm instead of 1.

Dont worry, i wont be going easy on it...... :thumbs:
6 years 1 month ago #76 by steveo
Lol... you give a new meaning to the expression of "Go hard or go home."
cant wait to see this....
6 years 1 month ago #77 by Andy
OK well ive finished installing the 2 Vibe monoblocks and its all wired up. Gains are only on 1/4 for the time being, hopefully Thursday night i'll be able to get a few hours of testing in before the Sunday comp......

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

6 years 1 month ago #78 by Dylan
That looks serious. What numbers is it doing?
6 years 1 month ago #79 by steveo
Andy, have you ha a chance to have a play with the pioneer apps for iPhone ?
6 years 1 month ago #80 by Andy

Dylan wrote: That looks serious. What numbers is it doing?

Was doing 143s with a crappy old Cutting Edge amp (800-1000w), have now obviously upgraded, unknown numbers till Thursday, even though my TermLab is sitting in the p/s footwell :laugh: Its too loud to meter at home, way too many complaints i would think.

Ive played with most of the apps, which ones you talking about?
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds