New Build - Option Audio Toyota Corolla Seca!

6 years 8 months ago #1 by Andy
Autobarn Maitland and Option Audio have combined with the owner of this vehicle to create a system that will not only look the goods, but play damn LOUD! Initially the owner wanted a full on SPL system that looked awesome for shows, after it was explained that he just cant have both, he decided to go for the looks.

So here's the initial list of products that will be fitted:

* Option Audio 'Pro Series' 6.5" Splits, 2 sets in the front doors.
* Option Audio 'Pro Series' 6.5" Co-axials, 2 sets in the rear.
* Option Audio 'Pro Series' 4 x 160wrms amplifiers x 2, powering above speakers (1080wrms for the speakers)
* Earthquake 12" DVC Subwoofers, will be replaced with Option Audio 'Pro Series" subs when new models arrive.
* Option Audio 'Pro Series" 2000wrms monoblock powering the subs.
* Stinger RCAs, Aerpro 0G/4G cabling, Dynamat sound deadening.

Here are a couple of shots of the amps in the completed amp rack . Now the rest is up to me ;)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

6 years 8 months ago #2 by amcinstaller
nice! so im reading this right and hes getting 8 speakers (not including separate tweeters) and 2 woofers? insane. that should definately be damn loud. is that an alpine deck i see up there?
6 years 8 months ago #3 by Tezzating
I thought it was a Festiva for a minute there

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
6 years 8 months ago #4 by Andy
Yep, 8 speakers....No Alpine deck is planned for the system, we are looking at a Pioneer 6350SD or possibly a 4350DVD.

Havent got the car yet, should be at work by the start of next week. :rock:
6 years 8 months ago #5 by amcinstaller
interesting choice on the deck. ive run pioneer decks for years and have aquired a few ipbus accessories but when i snapped the pico fuse on my latest unit, i grabbed a quick replacement (8300 ub) only to find out that they dont supoort many ipbus acessories anymore. i was quite disappointed. also, on the pico fuse front, i may have discovered a fix online, which would be awesome seeing as its an isue that tends to plague pioneer deck users (mostly amatuers and peple like me who just cant leave well enough alone ;) )
6 years 8 months ago #6 by Tezzating
Its easy fixed, replace the fuse with a staple

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
6 years 8 months ago #7 by amcinstaller
well, i plan to use a 1 ohm resistor, so that its at least a little bit not dodgy
6 years 8 months ago #8 by Andy
I may be missing something here, pico fuse? is that the RCA earth fuse that pops and you get major interference etc?
6 years 8 months ago #9 by amcinstaller
that would be the one. major pain in the ass
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #10 by Andy
Ah yeah, definitely a pain. Plenty of dodgy ways to fix it, a staple is about the dodgiest though ;)

First day we work on this car will be Wednesday, probably just running cables.
6 years 8 months ago #11 by Tezzating
Look forward to seeing the progress on this one :)

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #12 by Andy
I'll take some better photos of what i have to work with and post them up, would love some other opinions / options :)
6 years 8 months ago #13 by Tezzating
I think your best bet is to throw a small sub/box into it and test test test to see which loading would be louder, then work with that and figure out a plan of attack.. but I think subs up ports back is the loudest in the Seca. That might not fit with the aesthetics, then you'd need the testing to choose a good compromise.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
6 years 8 months ago #14 by Andy
Very true, i dont think im going to have the room to make port/s back look any good. Still undecided on the final plan, but will be having a meeting with the owner and my boss before the end of the week to finalize everything.

Here's some more pics of the car totally stripped. In the 2 hours i had to work on it, i ran 2x runs of 14g speaker wiring down each side and into each door and ran 0g + fabricated a ANL fuseholder for the engine bay.

6 years 7 months ago #15 by Tezzating
Looking good, but I think you'll end up wanting to do fibreglass in the back :P get some room for the subs to BREATH !

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #16 by Andy
I know.....it looks like i'll be building two separate boxes, slot ported firing up on either side of the amp rack. Volume-wise i think i can get about 1.2-1.4 cu.ft. per sub, without fibreglass. So in the hatch it shouldnt be too bad, trying to get the tuning frequency down may be a challenge with those smallish boxes, i think some dacron will come in handy ;)

The amp rack will be mounted on the floor "hovering" over the spare wheel well, underneath will be perspex / LEDs with possibly an Option Audio logo or some fancy wiring etc.

Front pods are still in the design / ideas stage.....whether to build out or stay as flush as possible are the options, the owner wants built out pods etc so i'd imagine thats the way we'll go!

Source unit has been decided....Pioneer's new DEH-6450BT Im happy as its got 3x 4v preouts and some EQ / filters, looks pretty cool too!

Its booked it for a good 5+ hours tomorrow, so im off to the Hardware to get some MDF :thumbs:

Stay tuned for pics!
6 years 7 months ago #17 by amcinstaller
nice choice on the deck! wish that one woulda been here when i bought last. actually, even the canadian version out now woulda been nice. instead i have a 8300ub which is NOWHERE near as nice FML. oh well

ive never had good luck on adding dacron to ported boxes. they always end up sounding better after i remove it
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #18 by Andy
Yeah its the time of the year here for new models, Pioneer seem to have the edge over Kenwood and Clarion (only other 2 major brands at work), their "mixtrax" and "advanced app mode" are two brand new features not yet seen, The others havent brought out anything new with these models AFAIK.

Im the same, never used dacron in ported boxes........may have to do some testing :laugh:

Small update, have built the floor and boxed in the spare wheel area with 16mm MDF. I also ran speaker cabling into the tailgate, for a set of co-axials to go in. Hopefully we can convince the customer to go with a roof mount DVD player for the tailgate too.....just for show.

Unfortunately the customer needs the car back for transport to / from work, so progress will go from slow to snail pace now :(
6 years 7 months ago #19 by amcinstaller
too bad about the car leaving. i think if you do go dacron in the boxes, id try to tune a bit lower, but i dunno. like i said, mine always sound better without
6 years 7 months ago #20 by Andy
Yeah i think i'll be building the boxes at home, i have all the measurements and templates i think i'll need so hopefully they turn out ok. The customer really wants maximum SPL, and im yet to see a SPL-orientated box that uses dacron :laugh: So im like you :dry:

Here's a few more pics of the progress so far, im very disappointed in the amount of hours ive been given to work on it so far.......hopefully things will change now we dont actually have the car anymore, if that makes any sense :lol:

OG earth, what better place than the chassis rail? :P

Earth all painted to prevent corrosion:

The new floor, with cutout for perspex window etc:

Amp rack position, we will be fabricating a custom bracket from billet aluminium to support the amp rack above the spare wheel well:

Time to create page: 1.466 seconds