Vibe Audio Australia / AutObarn Maitland - Audio Demonstration Vehicle

5 years 1 month ago #261 by Tezzating
never under estimate the stupidity of kids on forums. By the time your done that twin turbo 4.6 litre V6 will cut 10s 1/4s while doing 155dB playing Get Low :P

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
4 years 11 months ago #262 by Andy
hahaha

Ive had a chance to play around with this system lately. Mainly trying to get more DBs ;)

First off, i tried removing the port walls altogether, so just a 32mm baffle. The peak rose from 39 to 45hz but SPL dropped 1.5db, and it sounded like crap. So i went the other way, deepest port walls i could fit :laugh:
Put it all back together and turned it up, 151s at 38hz. The peak has dropped 1hz and the SPL about the same...so im giving up, ive tried just about everything i can think of. :angry:

Next step will be a woofer change.
4 years 10 months ago #263 by Tezzating
Walls too small.. I had that problem with the Festiva constantly.

What woofers?

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #264 by Andy
What do you mean by the "wall" is too small, as in the port, or box volume?

Staying with Vibe, but stepping up to their "space" series. Ive noticed most of the serious Vibe demo cars use these, and they are recone-able ;) :laugh:

It has been passed for registration, so its just a matter of funds and i can drive it on the road.......till the police defect me anyway :P
4 years 10 months ago #265 by Andy
Had a visitor today, CEO of Vibe Australia. He asked me what i wanted to upgrade to, i said the Space series. He replied "what about the bubonics":

3000w RMS, dual 1 ohm coils. 450 oz. triple stack magnets, 10g speaker wires direct to tinsels.

I am rebuilding, going 2 x 15s walled. This will mean a better design and obviously MORE PORT AREA!! :laugh:

Powering them from the current monoblocks, 1 amp per sub. They should see around 2.5k each. ;)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

4 years 10 months ago #266 by Tezzating
They look a bit more serious than the units you had before

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
4 years 9 months ago #267 by Andy
Yes, much more serious. :)

I have re-considered, and 2 15s just isnt going to be enough. I have asked for 4, and they are on their way :woohoo:

Fitting 4 x 15s and a decent port is going to be the challenge. But by the looks of my plans it *should* work out ok. The current enclosure will be cut in half, and a new front half built. The new front will be 380mm wider at 1480mm, but keep the same height at 700mm.

Enclosure size will be around 26 cubic feet, after displacement. The port will be 650mm x 250mm, so around 260 sq inch of port area.....equates to 10 sq. inch per cubic foot. Not ideal but nearly 3x the port area of the current box.

Im going with a traditional "flat" wall, with a centre mounted port on the bottom. I'll need to remove the seats for comps, but i'll be moving the whole wall and enclosure back about 30cm......right up against the B pillar just isnt practical now its registered and im driving it :P
4 years 8 months ago #268 by Tezzating
Those sounds like some good plans.. any updates to this? :P

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
4 years 8 months ago #269 by Andy
Updates soon! The old wall / box has been stripped and removed from the car, im on holidays right now but will be heading into work for a couple of days to get this happening :)
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #270 by Andy
Updates!

Got the old box out and chopped it down.....started on the new box and baffle, 32mm all round with a 64mm baffle ;)
The port will be going in the centre at the bottom, 600mm wide x 250mm high.....almost 3 times the port of the old clamshell :ohmy:

We had a few small "dramas" with the f*&king sh!t router, but it looks like ive got it sorted now :)

Hopefully next week we will get the box together and start mounting it all in, fingers crossed. :unsure:

4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #271 by Andy
Over my holidays i spent 4 days building the new enclosure. Here's a couple of progress pics:

Sill ALOT of work to go, but it all seems to line up good and the front half actually fits in the car without and mods, so thats a bonus :laugh:

This message has attachments images.

4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #272 by steveo
Helll no !!!!! Um.... To using a reaper...
4 years 6 months ago #273 by Andy
Well, im back at work and as promised progress has been made:

All screw holes filled and port rounded off, first coat of white after primer.

White finished, first coat of fluro red paint for the port. Opted away from the "fade" design on the last box.

I think it will look good with the black woofers, atleast the port will stand out :laugh:
Just got abit of work to do before the final coat goes on, then it will be put into the car and mounted to the back of the box. As you can see we have the rear mostly back together, monoblocks and batteries all wired up and charging.

Stay tuned, not long now ;)

4 years 6 months ago #274 by steveo
Awesome work Andy cant wait to see
4 years 6 months ago #275 by Andy
Thanks Steve, after spending the day working around it, im not 100% sure on the colour scheme and layout. So beware, the design may change :whistle:

If any of the others checked DBC for updates more regularly maybe they'd have an opinion or some help for me..... :laugh:
4 years 6 months ago #276 by Andy
More updates:

Got the front half of the enclosure in the car and mounted to the rear half. All lined up and more importantly sealed up nicely. As you can see the wall sits a fair way back now, so i'll need to to make "beauty" panels painted in white that will also seal off the wall from the back of the car. Amps have been tested and the front stage re-wired (200wrms per side now instead of 100wrms).

Hopefully i'll have it running in a few days, let the woofers loosen up and then i'll turn it up :)

4 years 6 months ago #277 by Andy
Got the woofers mounted in and wired up:

Here's a quick vid of it playing some chopped and screwed Gangnam Style......its looking like it'll peak LOW, real low.

4 years 6 months ago #278 by Andy
Finished painting the baffle / port and almost finished sealing off each side + trimming it all up. Here's a progress pic:

The woofers are impressive for the power they are getting, certainly a massive step up from the BlackAir 12s. Whacked it on the lab quickly and blew a few tones, 152.7 at 30hz was the best i could get in a few minutes of testing. I still have alot of work to do, the car is flexing bad around the front door frames and the pressure leaking into the back is doing wicked things to the tailgate. After sealing it all up it should gain a tonne, plus i might end up adding the inner rear wall to take up a few cubes and raise the tuning, which should gain too.

My aim is 155 and bassrace at 149.9. If it goes to sanctioned DB Drag comps i wont burp it, only bassrace :)

3 years 6 months ago #279 by Andy
An update with the old wagon. Hard to believe shes been pounding out 150+db for over 2 years now. it has a done a best of 152.2db at 32hz in competition, and 153.7db at 30hz in testing.

Ive removed the 4x Vibe BlackBox Monos and will be replacing them with a Vibe BlackDeath Reaper (9750wrms @ 1 ohm 14.4v). For the time being i have installed my own personal Bonecrusher 5k and its running at 1 ohm. Termlab testing will happen soon.

The front doors will also be getting a makeover, with 12" Vibe BlackDeath Horn Speakers to be moulded into custom pods, along with 2 x Vibe BlackDeath 6.5" Splits.
3 years 6 months ago #280 by Tezzating
Looking good, and it IS amazing she's still out there and taking names. Pix of the new work?

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds