SPL Meter Options ?

8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #1 by Tezzating
OK so lets talk some meter options.

Obviously Termlab is the best option cos what you did at home is what you'll do in the lanes.. but they're still $700+. Unless you're into SPL in a big way or intend to run shows/own a shop, thats just too damned much.

Termlab Image

I've found this SPL Lab's unit which appears to be basically the same as Termlab.. USB powered pressure sensor, without all the annoying incompatibilities and BS. They also do a handheld unit which has the same sensor, but a built in LCD display.
Prices USB $369, HH $424, 2 lane USB $569
Downside.. they're in Russia and want Western Union Money Transfers ;) lol.

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #2 by Tezzating
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationOption two, I came across this meter from Hyperdynamics Corp. Its just the sensor inside a box.. you need to use a DMM for the interface, or a PC's mic port + software. Once again, its a sensor technology like TL & SPL-Lab, so it tests reasonably close to TL & SPL-Lab.
For $180, I'll put up with a PITA DMM for interface and conversion table sheet.

www.makeitlouder.com... <--- more info

Its Decibelcar.com Baby

This message has attachments images.

8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #3 by Tezzating
Or this ? :P www.amazon.com/Scosc...

haha, actually any of those 130dB meters are all pretty worthless for SPL testing. They're unreliable against themselves and usually fail to deliver a consistant result. The dynamics of the system change as the SPL increases so these are worthless for our application.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby

This message has an attachment image.

8 years 1 month ago #4 by Tezzating
Next cab off the rank is the AudioControl Epicenter EPIC-1xx series. First was the EPIC-150 with a built in 150dB meter, which is now replaced by the EPIC-160. You guessed it, with a 160dB meter. $150 will get you into one of these.

The EPIC seems like a pretty good option at first, AudioControl was the meter of choice for audio competition until the release of the TL sensor.. but it lacks the one thing that could have made it useful for our purposes, a decimal place ! Which takes this squarely out of the pool of useful SPL tools and makes it a gimmick. Best to leave this one alone.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby

8 years 1 month ago #5 by Dylan
I don't know if you can still get them but, my SPL.com dbm2 SPL meter has been a pretty good tuning tool.

Has a decimal place, and is accurate against it's self.
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #6 by Tezzating
SPL.com is some sort of consulting company now ? Splmeter.com takes you to termpro :P
I hunted around for the DBM2 but couldn't find it.

[edit] Yep just did some more searching for the DBM2.. used to be sold out of SPLMeter.com but that domains now pointing towards the Termpro shop front for Termlab. So I guess the company that made these folded up ?

All I found was this review: www.audiogearreviews...

MSRP 149.95 USD

We’ve heard it all before. Fred’s truck hits 190dB. (Ok about 145dB) Of course, “Seeing is Believing.” Until recently, proving that meant access to an expensive SPL meter. Sure there are less expensive meters, but the accuracy and maximum SPL capability leaves much to be desired. The people at SPLMeter.com saw an opportunity for an inexpensive but accurate SPL meter. The dBm2 is result.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby

7 years 11 months ago #7 by slim2fattycake
SPL-Lab meters from Russia are in the US now. There is a US Dealer here. :) Let me know if you guys need anything or have any questions.
7 years 11 months ago #8 by Tezzating

slim2fattycake wrote: SPL-Lab meters from Russia are in the US now. There is a US Dealer here. :) Let me know if you guys need anything or have any questions.

Got a link to the north american dealers ? I'm still looking for a meter :whistle:

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
Time to create page: 0.883 seconds