My New "$2" Subwoofer.....

8 years 1 month ago #1 by Andy
Well recently i was searching eBay for bargains (as you do) and came across this Pioneer subwoofer, model number TS-W121SPL. The problem being it had a broken tinsel lead...

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

So with the help of some conductive wire glue, i attached a new 10AWG wire to the negative tinsel lead......then just fed it through the vacant hole in the terminal block and left it for a "direct" connection :laugh:
Its not the prettiest of repair jobs, but it works perfectly!

Here's a few pics of the sub itself, not too bad from Pioneer actually:

I've put it in a small sealed enclosure for now, with the intent of building a nice low-tuned box in the near future. Its powered from a Cutting Edge 2 channel amp, bridged at 2 ohm (800+wrms). It pretty cool how low this sub can play, even in a sealed box.....it can get down to 30hz easily, not even close to bottoming out.

Best $2 i ever spent :P
8 years 1 month ago #2 by amcinstaller
yea, i ran pioneer subs for a few years before getting a couple of pheonix golds then my DD. i liked mine, and my old work used to sell a few of those woofers you have there. good woofers for the dollar, excellent for what you paid for it :laugh: . the weak points on those was the coils. on my older premier woofers, the suspension would also crack all the way around the ring on either side of the roll.
8 years 1 month ago #3 by Dylan
150's? :P

Don't tune to low, unless your going to be like all the cool kids around here and only listen to chopped and screwed rap.
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #4 by Andy
Oh easily 150s...even in 1 cube sealed :laugh:

Nah probably 35hz, i hate the lower frequencies when its more air movement than sound.

The coils seem fine in this one, hopefully the previous owner hasnt abused it for too long. I do notice the suspension is REALLY soft, stiffens up a little in a sealed box ofcourse but i wonder if that contributes to the surrounds failing? Ive never seen a sub with this kind of surround before TBH, really soft feel to it.
8 years 1 month ago #5 by Dylan
Nah, c'mon man, <30Hz FTW! :P

Should go alright ported off 800wrms. Enough for most daily at any rate!
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #6 by Andy
Im not a fan at all of sealed boxes, and this thing dosent sound too bad at all......ive got a handy signal generator app on the iphone helps alot when setting xovers and EQs ;)

Thats the plan, BassBox reckons 3.5 - 4.0cubes with a 6" port should go ok around the 35-40hz mark. I havent got the time to go making a box, so we'll see how good Bunnings cut MDF :laugh:
Then i'll assemble it, i've got a heap of 6" ports lying around from the old wagon so i'll use one of them, Termlab test / tune and i should be right for daily bass once again :woohoo:
8 years 1 month ago #7 by Dylan
3.5-4 cubes is on the large to massive side for a 12" woofer! Not that you don't have space to burn in a wagon or anything :P

Bunnings can't cut MDF for shit. You'll be lucky if your panels come out +/-5mm
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #8 by amcinstaller
agreed on way too big box. i wouldnt go bigger than a cube and a half for that sub ported. at that size you should be able to get 35 hz pretty easy with that sub. i had a newer version of that woofer, supposed to handle 3000 W. i ended up trading it for an xbox 360 after i got my 2512, and the guy that i traded it to had it roasted in about 2 hours running it on a pheonix gold ms275, and another guy tried to use the next version newer (of the woofer, again 3000 W) with a great big clarion amp, and his lasted only 2 minutes of SPL testing before the kapton former blew apart in the woofer!

with the braided bit inside the surround they should have the cracking surround fixed, but i never ran mine so i dont know for sure
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #9 by Andy
Yeah, my first ideas were to go with a smaller box, but as Dylan said ive got space to burn and not alot of power.....so why not go the efficient route with a large box and an equally large port?

Everyone swears by this Bunnings near work, apparently they have a proper saw which is ran through PC software? I'll give them a ring over the next couple of days and find out for sure.....hell even i can get closer than 5mm with my jigsaw :laugh:

But before i do put it in a ported box im gonna whack it on the TL and see what it can do sealed + find out where its peaking, something tells me its not above 40hz :eek:
8 years 1 month ago #10 by Dylan
I have noticed VS wagons tend to play low when not built for SPL. Must be the wagony goodness!

It's always easier to cut down the box and port if it's to large.

The bunnings up here just uses a wall mounted rip saw. Bloody horrid cuts.
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #11 by Andy
Yep my old wagon seemed to love the low 30s......i still remember doing 148s at mid 30hz :laugh:

Here's a pic of one readout.....39hz

Ahh, the memories :smoke:
8 years 1 month ago #12 by Dylan
Yeah, I still can't belive you beat me with a <40Hz tone in an SPL tuned enclosure.

So, when you gonna build for 150's? :P
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #13 by Andy
Next car i build will need to be doing 156+ in Street C. ;)

Just had the new owner of Billy's first Suzuki Swift rock into the shop today, it has 2 Ground Zero 18s and an "American Bass" i think amp, 12,000wrms......he has gained sponsorship so im told. Actually the new amp does the same numbers as ONE DDZ1a, lol.....he was looking around seeing who had a TL in the area as he just moved here....guess who is the only one in the hunter to own one?
Its running in SS 1-2 and does 157s......next time he's in i'll take some pics.
8 years 1 month ago #14 by Dylan
Your still looking for a CRX?

Oooo, interesting. Does the new owner know much about SPL? Should direct him here haha.
8 years 1 month ago #15 by Tezzating
Big cars always have a low ass sweet spot.. makes 'em a pain in the arse to get loud unless you use a big ol' 15" haha.

Did the previous owner of this tell you how he ripped the tinsel up ? Doesnt look like its fused, but then again these a pix after god knows how many tried fixing it. Badly. :P 4 cubes man.. you aiming for a tuning frequency of 5hz ?

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 1 month ago #16 by Tezzating

Dylan wrote: Your still looking for a CRX?

He's always looking for a CRX and covets the one his neighbor lady drives :P

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #17 by Andy
The new owner knows a fair amount, well enough anyway......looks like i'll get a chance to improve on that 157 :unsure:

Nah didnt bother to ask....he probably wouldnt have known either, didnt look like it had actually burnt anything, there was the obvious signs of failed solder attempts (thank god they didnt heat up the lead too much), but no signs of where it would have been rubbing i.e. the basket or underside of the cone (long shot), so my only guess is he's has something else in there thats caused the lead to fray out like it did. Dosent matter though, i was willing to just use one VC and sell it off for $100, but now both coils work im gonna daily it :cheer:

ALWAYS looking for a CRX, i want one stock though which is why i havent found one yet....preferably without a sunroof too ;) and yes there's a lady who works down at my local supermarket that drives a bone-stock 89Si to work everyday, i'll get a pic of the wagon next to it in the car park :thumbs:

found out why its overly peaky down low.......seems i have the LPF set a touch to low and the sub is not playing anything over 60hz at any real volume, haha.....thing is ive known this for two days and havent bothered to spend the 30 seconds to change it :lol:
8 years 1 month ago #18 by Dylan
So you'll be helping him then?

Ask her to swap you for a commodore wagon? :P
8 years 1 month ago #19 by Andy
Yeah well i think so.....he knows we have a term lab and needs to find out why he's nearly doubled power and stayed at the same score.

haha, tried and failed. She likes it because its "zippy" :laugh:
8 years 1 month ago #20 by Dylan
Just tell her it sounds like the big ends gone...
Time to create page: 1.559 seconds