My New "$2" Subwoofer.....

7 years 3 weeks ago #21 by Andy
Yeah, that would work if she actually knew anything about cars......all she knows about her CRX is its a Honda :laugh:

Will be doing some TL testing on Sunday, going to record / plot on a graph the differences in frequency response between sealed, prefab ported and custom ported......should be interesting anyway.
7 years 3 weeks ago #22 by Dylan
Lovely.

Sounds like your in for a fun sunday!
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #23 by Andy
Alrighty, did not bring my jigsaw home with me so there will be no box building this weekend :angry: Good news is a did bring home a prefab slot ported enclosure, Aerpro model number SPB12, 1.45 cuft 16mm MDF, port is tuned to 50HZ!!! wow.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Anyways, whacked the termlab in and blew some tones.....had a charger hooked up to the battery and i waited a sufficient amount of time in between runs:

Thoughts?

:laugh: :laugh:
7 years 3 weeks ago #24 by Dylan

C.C.S.S. wrote: Thoughts?

:laugh: :laugh:

LOL

I knew those pre fab ported enclosures were crappy!
7 years 3 weeks ago #25 by Tezzating
I think 50hz is too high a tune for your station wagon ;)

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #26 by Andy
Jigsaw was put in the car on Friday morning, so no excuses this weekend!

Final design for the enclosure came down to 2.7 cu.ft. (2.4 after displacement). Port is 6"/ 152mm, flared at both ends....550mm deep so a 37hz tune to start me off :P

Just waiting for the extra glue to dry

8AWG cables sealed up nicely

6" port sunk flush into the side

Fitted into vehicle with the intention of loading the port off the wheel arch

The box will be carpeted and some trim panels made for the sides (extra flaring for the port too), so wont look too bad when done......probably put something on the right hand side of the box though :laugh:

After waiting 4 hours for the glue and sealants to dry i had a quick listen, much better!!! seems to peak around the 40hz mark in-car but im betting on a nice 3-4db gain over the sealed :smoke:

Getting some wicked VD too, 14.4 down to 10.6s.....needs a new battery. Pity the Optima needs too many mods to fit under the bonnet, but could probably live in the spare wheel well with the amps?

Will do some tuning on the Term Lab tomorrow and post my findings.
7 years 2 weeks ago #27 by Dylan
Looking much better!!!

I reckon the Optima would work well close to the amps.
7 years 2 weeks ago #28 by Tezzating
The edges very almost line up too ;) Looks good, I bet it works a lot better than the prefabbed junker.

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
7 years 2 weeks ago #29 by Andy
Yes i didnt pay too much attention to the cuts, :P Once its carpeted it'll look fine.

Ive got room for the D31 so might as well throw it in, atleast it will fix my headlight dimming.......or should i just buy a 200,000 Farad Cap? :laugh:
7 years 2 weeks ago #30 by Andy
Optima is in, only wired using 8AWG for the time being but it has solved my VD issues.......14.4v down to 13.8v :thumbs:

Didnt get a chance to put it on the Lab, i'll have a play on the next test n tune day if i dont get bored in between now and then.
7 years 2 weeks ago #31 by amcinstaller
all looks good so far, im not sure that woofer needs so much air space, but if its working then awesome!

on a side note,

C.C.S.S. wrote: solved my VD issues

thats great that the optima fixed that for you, my friend had to see the doctor and get some pills :unsure:
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #32 by Andy
lmao....didnt even occur to me until i read your post. :laugh:

Yeah im pretty surprised how low it can get, with decent volume levels......got the coils a touch smelly on the drive home, i see what you mean about them.
7 years 2 weeks ago #33 by amcinstaller
yea, sounds about right :laugh: i know with my pioneers, two 12s in a 3 cube box tuned way down like 35 or something, theyd play right low, do 142-143 on an audiocontrol meter (i know, but thats all we had in the shop) in my hatchback with a 1000 watt amp on it. but when i got my new 12, i tried the same thing with a slightly bigger box, closer to what you have and got pretty much the same results. they were awesome until i tried to pull alot of sound at low frequencies, then they just kinda started fart and queef and bottom out.

this is my second set of pioneer woofers:

This message has an attachment image.

7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #34 by Andy
We had similar series Pioneer subs over here a few years ago, Steve and Dylan will remember them.

I havent really dabbled in low-tuned ported enclosures much, but im pretty impressed with this sub TBH.......even sealed it plays lower than any other mainstream 12 ive heard in a long, long time......im thinking Cerwin-Vega days ;)

It may just be the good old wagon giving me a very nice peak in the 30-40hz range, i dont know. Ive always had success with large enclosures in the past though, i think just about every one ive built has been bigger than needed with more port than needed, haha.
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #35 by Andy
Sorry, had to post again to make it 300 :P

My "ultimate" goal with this subwoofer is to beat a customers car.......2 x DD9515s and a M4 i think, 137db :ohmy:

Subs are mounted free-air, no i did not do the install.
7 years 2 weeks ago #36 by Dylan
Pretty sure I beat that car with 1/2 the cone and similar power, by like 10dB.... Just sayin'... :D
7 years 2 weeks ago #37 by Tezzating
Pretty sure I did beat that car with one patched up RE-MX 12" and a Clarion 1.2Kw :P

Its Decibelcar.com Baby
7 years 2 weeks ago #38 by Dylan
You have a CRX, you don't count.

:)
7 years 1 week ago #39 by Andy

Dylan wrote: You have a CRX, you don't count.

:)

Agreed.

We've since sealed up that enclosure and it does sound better, but still does 137s :lol:

Poor, poor DDs. :(
7 years 1 week ago #40 by Dylan
Tell him to remove one of the 15's and port it = 145's I bet.
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds