Autobarn Maitland - Woofer Cooker Sound Off - Class Amendments / Discussion!

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #1 by Andy
Hi everyone, as i promised this is a dedicated thread to allow discussion on a new class system (and new format!):

Here's what i have quickly typed up:

Autobarn WOOFER COOKER Proposed SPL classes:
SPL:
30 seconds to get max SPL, test tones / sweeps.
Street A + B classes have a maximum subwoofer amplifier power allowance of 2000w RMS.
Street A: 2 x 10” or 1 x 12”
Street B: 2 x 12” or 1 x 15”
Pro Class: Any “Pro” or “Veteran” competitors and systems with more than 2000w RMS.

Bass Race:
Average SPL over 30 seconds, highest score wins!
No subwoofer restrictions
1500w Bass Race: 1500w RMS Max sub amp power
Pro Bass Race: 1500w RMS and above

Bass Race has been modified according to feedback i have received from a few competitors now......basically its the same 30 second average SPL. But what most couldnt control was this average, so the classes now are based on sub amp power rather than a score range. This will indeed lead to more subwoofer deaths, as people will most likely clip the crap outta their gear trying to get the highest score, but a small disclaimer at the bottom of the entry (along with a signature) should fix that up :laugh:
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #2 by SAM77H

Andy wrote: Hi everyone, as i promised this is a dedicated thread to allow discussion on a new class system (and new format!):

Here's what i have quickly typed up:

Autobarn WOOFER COOKER Proposed SPL classes:
SPL:
30 seconds to get max SPL, test tones / sweeps.
Street A + B classes have a maximum subwoofer amplifier power allowance of 2000w RMS.
Street A: 2 x 10” or 1 x 12”
Street B: 2 x 12” or 1 x 15”
Pro Class: Any “Pro” or “Veteran” competitors and systems with more than 2000w RMS.

Bass Race:
Average SPL over 30 seconds, highest score wins!
No subwoofer restrictions
2000w Bass Race: 1500w RMS Max sub amp power
Pro Bass Race: 1500w RMS and above

Bass Race has been modified according to feedback i have received from a few competitors now......basically its the same 30 second average SPL. But what most couldnt control was this average, so the classes now are based on sub amp power rather than a score range. This will indeed lead to more subwoofer deaths, as people will most likely clip the crap outta their gear trying to get the highest score, but a small disclaimer at the bottom of the entry (along with a signature) should fix that up :laugh:

AWESOME !!! Bring on the next comp! (and dont worry about blown gear, that will generate business ! Tuning/amp setting and replacements ! )
5 years 11 months ago #3 by Andy
Yes, true......but i just dont want competitors blaming myself or Autobarn for causing said fried woofers / amps :lol:

Anyway, one thing im unsure of is power restrictions........is 2000w in SPL and 1500w in Bass Race adequate, thinking they should be the same for both formats, 1500w or 2000w?
5 years 11 months ago #4 by SAM77H
Could match those wattages or be adjusted depending on entrants to try get an even number of competitors in each class.
Ie if you have lots of low power cars you could have 0-500 , 500-1000, 1000-1500 etc (sort of like it was in the 90's)
It would help focus on the amp power whereas straight SPL seperates by sub size and secondly by amp size but noone really checks (do they?)
I mean who knows what some of these amps really put out and what voice coil configuration is really connected in a competitors box.......
5 years 11 months ago #5 by Tezzating
How about the wagon owners with 2 15"s ? :P Thats how we usually did the smaller comps like Kandos, ABC classes (C for 4x12 and 2x15) and a Pro class for sponsored/shop/vets being mandatory, and entry to Pro classes as an option for anyone.

Bassrace I like, as the qualifying rounds tell you which class everyones in, regardless of power/subs/install.

The lazy mans signature (TM)
Its Decibelcar.com Baby
5 years 11 months ago #6 by SAM77H
you could use woofer size as in the SPL contest........... does keep it consistent !
Highest peak SPL with tones on whatever subs
Highest average over 30 seconds with music in same class.

Having SPL split by sub size and bass race by amp power would focus on different areas and have people with completely different setups competing instead of same guys in SPL and then again in Bass race.

Might make more sense to use Tezzating's suggestion
5 years 11 months ago #7 by Andy

Tezzating wrote: How about the wagon owners with 2 15"s ? :P

Cheeky :laugh:

Im finding alot less guys running 15s with less than 2000w to be honest. I have come across a few, but usually they've got less than 1000w so i put them in with the 12s anyway.

I think woofer size only in SPL is dangerous, woofers themselves are not the main contributing factor to SPL. You will get complaints about massive amps and subwoofer boxes on their back seat etc etc. Amp power is more important than subwoofer quantity IMO.

What im trying to achieve in my modified version of Bass Race is a format thats more than just a 3 second burp to get your absolute maximum SPL. Its this reason i think alot shy away from the traditional "Sound Offs", where pro competitors would just clean everyone up......in some cases the actual competition host has their own cars in the comp! outrageous :laugh:
Im thinking the 30 second average and no score - based classes has merit, with classes similar or the same as SPL it should be easy to scrutineer etc.
Eventually im hoping we ditch the SPL and just have Bass Race :rock:

What about a windows down version? Mic outside the car maybe?

Just throwing up some ideas.
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #8 by SAM77H
i think windows down could be an issues due to more noise attracting negative attention from the public. (ie older citizens asuming we all hoons)
What about a class where we play 20, 30,40,50 Hz (or something like that) and highest average of those wins. (That would encourage different box design!)

could even be like a BASSSQ ! (flattest response)
5 years 11 months ago #9 by amcinstaller
i have heard of some places doing the window down thing. i forget who was telling me but the idea was drive by bass or somethin like that. pull up, window down, park, blast music, hit score, be happy (maybe :laugh: ) scores would be way lower, but it could be fun anyway
5 years 11 months ago #10 by Andy
Yeah the noise factor and such low scores are what's turning me off windows down formats....dont need any bad publicity at the moment,

You will always get a peak in frequency response via the car itself, so there'd be a few ways to go about tuning for the 30,40,50hz average format.

The more i think about it, the more i think the 30 second "maximum average" format is a good idea. Keeping the classes the same as SPL is ideal, then competitors just have the choose between maximum SPL over a 3 second period, or maximum SPL over a 30 second period, or both!

I plan to make up short "how-to" articles for SPL and Bass Race, displayed in both our stores, online and at competitions.......possibly make it part of the entry form, on the back?

Also tossing up names to call this modified Bass Race format, what about taking the comp name "woofer cooker" ?
5 years 11 months ago #11 by SAM77H
sounds good. keeps it simple. woofer cooker is suitable as they will get a hiding ! :lol:
if they dont die amps will (as my competitor proved)
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #12 by Andy
Well ive had a chat with alot of competitors, most of which tell me a format to "trial" is the "Bass Battle" format used in MEA comps. Ive modified it somewhat and produced this:

AUTOBARN MAITLAND – WOOFER COOKER CLASSES:

STREET CLASSES:
• Music Only, Peak Hold Competition Type.
• All subwoofers and enclosures must adhere to the "B" Pillar guidelines.
• No "walls" permitted.
• Front/Rear seats may be folded during competition.
• Rear seats may be removed.
• Doors and windows must be shut during competition.

Street A:
Woofers: A maximum of 1 x 12”, 2 x 10” or 3 x 8” Subwoofers
Amplifiers: A maximum of 2000w RMS (subwoofer amplifier power)
Batteries: A maximum of 1 battery

Street B:
Woofers: A maximum of 1 x 15”, 2 x 12” or 3 x 10” Subwoofers

Street C:
Woofers: A maximum of 2 x 15”, 3 x 12” or 4 x 10” Subwoofers

PRO CLASSES:
• Tones are permitted, but music tracks are encouraged.
• All subwoofers and enclosures must adhere to the "B" Pillar guidelines.
• "Walls" are permitted.
• Front/Rear seats may be folded/removed during competition.
• Doors and windows must be shut during competition.

Pro Class A:
Woofers: A maximum of 2 x 12” or 1 x 15” Subwoofers
Batteries: A maximum of 2 batteries

Pro Class B:
Woofers: Unlimited!
Amplifiers: Unlimited!
Batteries: Unlimited!

I think im going to trial these rules at the next comp.......the usual SPL guys can still compete in the "Pro Classes" using tones etc. I've made up a nice collection of songs too :)

Thoughts on the maximum SPL using music idea?
Time to create page: 1.342 seconds